Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Storing a software in the Propeller and EEPROM — Parallax Forums

Storing a software in the Propeller and EEPROM

CLG/BLTCLG/BLT Posts: 32
edited 2006-09-06 22:36 in Propeller 1
redface.gif·zzzzzzzzzz...
confused.gif·...!
Hismile.gif !
Umm.. I am new to engineering and...eyes.gif I am not started yet in the BASIC Stamp. But I have a questionsmile.gifscool.gif .
I am creating an instant messenger, text messenger, and voice messenger device using a Propeller Chipblush.gif .
Uh... )c· 8)··· Is it possible? I want to buy an· LCD that is under $100, or at least $150. I want it to be 8 x 20 letter text or 8x16 letter text.·Do any of you know where that kind of display are? Or, I am thinking of getting a high-resolution LCD display andeyes.gif... How do I cram a software in the Propeller and EEPROM? how do I create pixels on the display because I want to use the LCD pixel creater?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-08-29 05:33
    I suggest you do some internet searching regarding LCDs. One good resource to start with is <http://www.matrixorbital.com/>. Parallax also has a cheap ($80) and very nice but tiny (2.5") LCD video display for use with the Propeller that can display the amount of data you want with no additional hardware (other than a couple of resistors and a connector that are already built-in to the Propeller Demo Board). The software to run the display comes with the Propeller Tool and you can find it and several demo programs in the object library that is installed when you download and install the Propeller Tool.

You can use any TV with a video input for development and buy the little LCD video display later.

There is more than enough information in the Propeller Manual on how to use the Propeller Tool (an Integrated Development Environment - Editor, Compiler, Downloader). You can download the Manual for free from the Parallax Propeller page.
  • CLG/BLTCLG/BLT Posts: 32
    edited 2006-08-31 21:12
    Anybody else?smile.gif
    edited 2006-09-03 20:07
    Helloconfused.gif ?
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2006-09-03 20:58
    CLG/BLT said...

... I am new to engineering and... I am not started yet in the BASIC Stamp. But I have a question .
    I am creating an instant messenger, text messenger, and voice messenger device using a Propeller Chip . ...
    Mike gave you a source for the LCD. Google for others if his suggestion doesn't meet with your specifications.

How 'new' to enginering are you? And to programming? You mentioned '...creating .... using a Propeller Chip'; do you have that presently? Is that via the Demo board, PropSTICK, or starting from scratch with a Propeller IC? This may be a huge project depending on past experience. And there may be some limitations for your goals. Voice may present a storage problem.

Have you downloaded and read the Propeller manual? If not, I suggest it is a perfect time to do so. If you have a Demo or PropSTICK, run the example demos that come with the free IDE.

Best wishes on your project.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
    edited 2006-09-06 22:34
    Thank you. I will try it.
    edited 2006-09-06 22:36
    Wait! Oh no no no no no. I am not going to store voice. I am going to make a cellphone kind of thing. Well, I was thinking voice mail. Oh well. Guess no voice mail.