Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help to learn — Parallax Forums

Need help to learn

TCTC Posts: 1,019
edited 2006-08-16 09:29 in Propeller 1
Hello all.
I am new to the propeller world, and I am learning how to program it. I am working on a learning project, I have a NX-1000, and using the 16 leds only I want to make a flash pattern program using pins (8..23). Where I load the patterns into the EEPROM then the prop will output to the pins. I would like a little point in the right direction. But I DON’T WANT CODE!!! If you tell me the code then how could I learn. I just need to know where I should look in the manual. I will post any and all updates so others could learn too. Thanks to all.
·
TC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
We all make mistakes when we are young………That’s why paste is edible!

Comments

• Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-08-14 23:48
    Reading chapter 1-4 won't be time wasted, its well worth it especially in parallel with some playing (as chapter 4 is quite long and dry).

Then you can read chapter 5 [noparse]:)[/noparse]

More specifically page 208-211 which covers DAT blocks will see you right assuming you have the basics of setting pins to outputs and creating a loop etc.

Graham
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-08-15 05:11
    TC,

·· There won't actually be a section in the manual on how to flash LED patterns from EEPROM.· Instead there will be good explanations and examples of individual instructions.· You'll definately want to read through the tutorial section trying things out if possible, then give the remaining chapters a good read through.· Then, with all the example objects you should be able to come up with something.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-08-15 09:51
    Sorry I just realized the section I linked you to actually covers reading data from main ram (which will have come from the eeprom within the program code). I suspect you need to look into I2C but before that just get some LEDs comming on, you can get some nice effects with just a counter or bit shifting.

Graham
  • TCTC Posts: 1,019
    edited 2006-08-15 22:56
    I think my question might be a little vague. When I started with the Basic Stamp, I started with a somewhat complex project. I made a light show buy loading the EEPROM with data of the light pattern. There was no info when I did the program. Here is an idea of what I did, do not quote me on this.
    ·
    DATA·· pattern1·····················
    WORD··········· %1000000000000000
    ······················· WORD··········· %0100000000000000
    ······················· WORD··········· %0010000000000000
    You get the idea
    ·
    ·
    Main:
    ·· For times = 0 to 5·······························‘ how many times to do pattern
    ··········· For pattern = 0 to 15················pattern counter
    ··········· Read pattern1, outs
    ··········· Next
    ·· Next
    ·
    Now this is just an idea of what I did. I have read the manual about 2 times and I get lost (not the brightest candle). That is why I am just looking to try to understand what I need to do. Maybe A little code could help. I got a little lost on the Object Block, and making a working Object. But I am still trying to understand it.
    ·
    Thanks to all
    TC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-08-15 23:08
    Well it looks like I was right origionally, that section shows how to write out your data block and also how to access it. Then you just need to create a loop using repeat and ouput each number read from the ROM to the port. You should probably add a delay using waitcnt so it happens at a speed you can watch.

Don't punish yourself by repeated reading if its not going in. Why not work through the examples in the sticky beginners example section, then you can go back to your flashing LEDS.

Alternatively post YOUR code so people can suggest where you are going wrong.

Graham
    edited 2006-08-16 00:31
    Because of the sticky, I now understand what things mean. I have made my first light pattern. As soon as I make more patterns I will download them. Spin is just as easy as PBASIC. You just have to get past all the technical words. I think Parallax could do better on the manual for the beginner, just my thoughts.

TC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-08-16 00:38
    Didn't Beau do this exact thing with the demo board?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
    edited 2006-08-16 00:51
    yes, I am using it to help me start. I am up to 4 patterns right now. I am trying to get to 10.

TC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2006-08-16 04:39
    Let me know if you have any questions. Seems like you have found the answers that you need for the moment.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-08-16 09:29
    I think the manual is excellent as it stands, if I were to suggest anything it would be an additional quick start guide perhaps using some of the examples as a basis. The best thing would be a video, a screen capture with audio of someone clever creating some apps and playing with the IDE, perhaps with a inlay of a demo boad in the top right corner so you can see the LEDs flashing [noparse]:)[/noparse]

"Chip and Beau's Propeller corner" Tune in next week on how to interface your Propeller to a toaster, I can see it now.

Graham

p.s. Camtasia is great software for doing it.