Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Emulators - ZX81 possibilitiy — Parallax Forums

Propeller Emulators - ZX81 possibilitiy

T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
edited 2006-08-10 20:04 in Propeller 1
I just received my Propstick last week and I'm pretty impressed with the video and graphics capabilities to say the least. I know some are working on a C64 emulator possibility. However, I am not a "programmer" per say but pick up on things pretty quickly with experimentation and usage over and over like many others here in the forums. I have an Electrical Engineering degree but a limited amount of design and programming experience based on my carreer path choosen. I have worked on a few good projects for the BS2, BS2px and some for the SX-28. I would like to now·NOT abandon the other great microcontrollers, but take a break to see what the Propeller can do.

I want to look into the possibility of seeing if it is possible to create a ZX81 emulator (or a variation) as this was my first computer owned and had many great years programming them and playing the games. I even interfaced it to other hardware like more memory, etc..

What·I want to know first·as I have never done anything at this level before is to ask·how is the·best way to approach something like this? Do I take the commands·in the graphics.spin and tv.spin and modify them into a ZX81 or use the ZX81 ROM file and emulate the Z80. I don't really know where to begin. I am hoping this thread will generate some interest and post some good approaches.

Let me hear from you all...

Thanks.·

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-07-16 13:03
    While the fun of the Propeller is similar to the Commodore 64, trying to return to that era seems to me like buying an auto with a handcrank for the sake of nostalgia [noparse][[/noparse]NO battery required]. While interesting, it may one day break your arm as you try to start the car.

I think what is important is to glean the best of what these devices had to offer. A clean learning platform at a reasonable cost. There is true appeal.

For example, I just saw several complete cassette recorder chassis for sale at a very low price and was wondering if I should consider recording data on cassette. It seems quite troublesome and that I can just pop in another EEPROM or SDcard. The cassette recorder is like the geranium radio I had. Interesting, but give me something that I can enjoy more and learn with ease.

When you say emmulation, what is it that you really liked? The video, the Basic programming, the entry price, the fellowship, the Z80 Assembly language? What did you feel were the weaknesses - not enough ram, too little docuementation, small keyboard?

Some things are being well-done by others. There is already a good TINYbasic program package available on a 8952 package. That seems a lot closer to the Z80 Assembly language. Add the Propeller for your terminal keyboard and video display. If fact, you can have it be a super video display because of all the cogs.

I am just thinking about how to take the best of the past and make it better, more fun, and allow people to get youth involved in low level programing by possibly having older, more experienced people mentor them while enjoying the nostalgia.

I certainly am looking forward to reviving Asteriods as I really enjoyed all the different forms of gravity and hyperspace. A very simple video display, but it goes deeply into ones imagination. So did the Tank games.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
    edited 2006-07-16 14:22
    I wonder if any of you guys remember a TEXATRON tape recorder of the good old Trash80 days.
  • El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
    edited 2006-07-17 02:12
    Ooops, my error.
    I am refering to the EXATRON Stringy Floppy digital storage device.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-07-17 03:18
    El Paisa,

You're showing your age! I still have my Stringy Floppy drive! It used a 1/16" wide endless magnetic tape loop. The cartridge was smaller than a business card. These were a godsend for people like me who couldn't afford a floppy disk drive but who were sick to death of cassette tapes. Attached is a photo of the drive. 'Couldn't find any of the cassettes, though.

I used my TRS-80/Stringy Floppy combo as a development platform for Zilog's Z8 microcontroller, using Allen Ashley's Z80-to-Z8 cross-assembler. It served me well until upgrading to an Otrona Attache' CP/M system.

-Phil

Update: I see Exatron is still in business. They now make IC handling and testing equipment. Their website is here: www.exatron.com.

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 7/17/2006 3:42:24 PM GMT
    800 x 600 - 32K
  • GiemmeGiemme Posts: 85
    edited 2006-07-26 12:30
    Hi

I also interessing with emulators. I found this helful document: http://personals.ac.upc.edu/vmoya/docs/emuprog.pdf

My approach will be:
    1) emulate the Z80 first
    2) use the Rom
    3) emulate the hardware

Shall we start with something easy?? ie Chip8 http://www.pong-story.com/chip8/

Let me know

Regards

Giemme
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-07-26 18:56
    Do start with something easy...

Emulating the Z80 at any speed at all is going to be rather difficult...
    The reason is that interpreters like these usually rely on a large JUMP-table, with one entry for each instruction in the CPUs instruction-set, to point it towards the code for emulating that specific instruction.

Now, the problem is that the Z80 has 138 different instructions, or over 750 if you count every variation...
    See?
    A COG doesn't have enough RAM to fit both a table and the code to interpret all those commands.
    Of course, you could set aside a COG for the 'normal' instructions, and then one for each 'prefix' group of commands, but then you'd also have to do interprocess communication. (not to mention, that all 'registers must be stored in HUB RAM)
    Or maybe you keep a 'bare bones' framework in one COG, and let it read each instruction from HUB RAM, then load a block of instructions using that instruction-Byte as a pointer...
    (Yes, I'm assuming it's all done in Assembly. Doing it in Spin... would be slow... very slow... )

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2006-07-26 19:54
    Thanks for all the good input. However, I don't think I have the programming skills to accomplish this task. I will continue to look into similar avenues depending on my skills and the limitations of the Propeller and memory.
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2006-08-08 04:02
    lol, perhaps the easiest way of accomplishing this would to either have a big 'ol BBQ with plenty of kegs, invite everyone from parallax, and make subtle suggestions to plant the seed of a spin translator, or you could just hire a hardware hacker to emu it for you.. . either way looks to be pricey [noparse]:([/noparse] BTW, anyone here looking for a Z8 Encore MCU development kit? bought it a year ago, tried in futality to make a program work, and it sits on the shelf in the box because i stumbled upon the samp and now the propeller. Anyway $30 takes it (was $40 new), comes w/devboard, software/IDE, & power supply.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"
  • FynchFynch Posts: 8
    edited 2006-08-08 16:49
    But some how the Replica 1 (brielcomputers.com) was sucessful... Perhaps you could make money selling it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Other forums I frequent: Briel Computers: brielcomputers.com/forums
    Applefritter: applefritter.com
  • GoogGoog Posts: 65
    edited 2006-08-10 05:03
    T&E,

Emulation is certainly fun. My motive for writing the C64 emulator is so that I can truly learn the guts of the C64. I was a "tweenager" when I started playing on Commodores. I was a very enthusiastic kid, going to all the club meetings, hanging out with the adults, taking machine language programming, etc. But my brain simply couldn't wrap around the true core of it all. I was unskilled. So now that I am an adult and work with computers for a living, I can start to understand some of the concepts that I only dreamed about when I was 13.

I started writing my emulator on the PC in VB.NET - fully knowing that it probably wasn't fast enough. And I was right. It wasn't fast enough. To be honest, I'm not even sure I can pull this off on the Propeller. I *am* writing it in SPIN - at least initially, for a clear, easy-to-follow code example. Once I have it working (even if it is slow), I plan to start porting it over to Propeller assembly. I understand there will be hurdles along the way (right now I have one - not enough memory). But that won't stop me. In fact, by the time I finish it, Parallax will probably come out with their newer, faster, more-memory-added chip. That will be great because I will already have the code ready to go and with a few tweaks, I'll have a fully-functioning C64. My point is... who knows if it will work - I'm just having fun writing the emulator and learning so much about computers and electronics - and the guts of the C64. (Sidebar: I did get the emulator working in VB.NET - to a point. It will fully emulate the system - you can program in BASIC, assembly, and do just about anything that doesn't require graphics or sound. I ran several BASIC programs just fine.)

Since I started my emulator in VB.NET, I have collected LOTS of books on old computers - not just C64 books, but general "how computers work" books too. I have filled my bookshelf. If you are interested in emulating, the first step is to get all of the documentation you can for the computer system you want to emulate. Especially the processor. Mine is the 6510, which is the child of the 6502. The 6502 was used in many older computer systems. Once I can emulate the processor, it is just a matter of emulating the other devices in the system.

So, like Kramer said... what is the purpose? My purpose is to have fun. If that is all you want to do, by all means - start programming. If it turns out too slow, or if there isn't enough memory, or whatever problems come your way, stick to it. You are, after all, just having fun! Besides - those limitations will eventually go away, so your code might just be worthwhile in the end!

Goog

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Doing my part to keep the Commodore 64 alive!

http://www.commodorestuff.com
    ·
  • TransistorToasterTransistorToaster Posts: 149
    edited 2006-08-10 18:54
    Goog,
    What is the scope of your whole project? Do you intend to duplicate all the video, SID, VIA? I am more interested in engines for the video, without the rest.
    Frank
  • GoogGoog Posts: 65
    edited 2006-08-10 19:25
    It depends... I have yet to do some testing on this, but I'd really like to emulate the C64's VIC (video) chip using the scanline technique, drawing one line at a time. This may take some serious processing power, so that is why I don't know if I can do it yet - I'm waiting on that until I come to it.

I also have plans to emulate the other chips - I'd like to get it working as closely as possible. I won't be doing the entire SID chip (sound) myself - I need help on that one. I think Ym2413a signed up for that!

Once I can get the basic emulation of the 6510 processor, I will be able to start testing possibilities for graphics. I don't know what Andre's plans are, but he might have an engine that he plans on letting others use for video/graphics with his Hydra system.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Doing my part to keep the Commodore 64 alive!

http://www.commodorestuff.com
    ·
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2006-08-10 20:04
    Goog said...

I also have plans to emulate the other chips - I'd like to get it working as closely as possible. I won't be doing the entire SID chip (sound) myself - I need help on that one. I think Ym2413a signed up for that!

Yup that I did.
    I've already started writing some useful sound firmware for the propeller.
    It's really impressive already!