Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robots and man — Parallax Forums

Robots and man

WaldoDTDWaldoDTD Posts: 142
edited 2006-08-04 14:32 in Robotics
Hey,
Just bouncing around a few ideas and thought they might be of interest. It is hard to tell where my obsession with robotics comes from but I think that it could stem from a natural drive that is inherent in all human beings. So here lies an intellectual blitzkrieg be gentle its my first time

The first writings on intelligent machines actually can be dated back to the Greek myths of Pygmalion (sculptor that created his bride). The first autonomous machines however didn't start to make an appearance until ~1400 BC in Babylonia where the first water clocks were made. There are also several parables in the Jewish Kaballah that also deal indirectly with robots. One such parable details the creation of a golem with the phrase "God is truth" on his forehead in Hebrew. However once the golem is activated he erases the first letter in truth thus spelling in Hebrew dead. The golem then states that if mankind is able to make his own people then there is no incentive to believe in god since man has usurped his position.
This is not the case, in Anne Foerst's God in the Machine Anne presents a reasonable and sound defense for the creation of robots. The first point is the fact that robotics has become deeply entrenched in humanity's heritage. Although mostly in myth and legend its notions have captivated our greatest minds. Another is the drive we humans posses to invent and manipulate the world around us. Much like our creator(s) man has been imbued with an "engineerical"(I know its not a word bear with me) drive as well as a extraordinary ability to focus. Probably the greatest example of this is the Sistine Chapel. For four years Michelangelo worked to bring his masterpiece to fruition a feat unparalleled by any other species on this planet. Therefore since the human mind is already predisposed to invention and technology it is only logical that we use these drives to help create a better life for society. Instead of worrying about the religious/ethical implications of playing god by creating a sentient program or robot we should continue on and create a new form of intelligence.
The creation of a new intelligence however is not necessarily a blessing to mankind. The foremost reason is the now clique robot vs. man Terminator-esq war that could be a result. Machines are here to help people out therefore artificial intelligence to a degree is needed but I don't think I am quite ready for my toaster to express its emotions every time toast is done. There is however one reason why a self-aware program could and should be made. If mankind was able to create an intelligence that meets or even surpasses its own then it would be a breakthrough on so many levels concerning human nature. A creation of this magnitude will be built off of a foundation of tremendous psychological breakthroughs and offer the clearest window into the inner workings of the human mind. This creation will be borne off of the research in psychology and the models after the human mind because of the fact that there seems to be no better model or watermark for self awareness on this planet.
It is hardwired into the human mind to create and manipulate its environment. Through robotics it is possible to give thoughts power and bring them forth from the dark recesses of human imagination. In a way it is a viable path to "play god." As a human race we should not shrink away in fear from this trail but proudly march along it for it holds the key to a glorious and wonderful future.-Signol01

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-07-28 14:18
    Thanks for thinking of us.
  • WaldoDTDWaldoDTD Posts: 142
    edited 2006-07-28 14:38
    well this was not intended to be narcisstic in anyway I would just like to get other people's take on robotics and reasons why they are interested in it.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-07-28 16:06
    Signol -

Some of us didn't have a lot of childhood friends as kids, so we had to MAKE OUR OWN to compensate! smile.gif

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2006-07-28 17:04
    It never even came into my remote thoughts that I was doing anything from the dark crevices of my mind or playing God. Its hard enough for me to balance my check book, I am definatly NOT·God in any way shape or form. To go even farther and using the analogies given of God and the human mind, we can say that we are imitating God by trying to do what He has already done which is a form of admiration. Regardless, I am done with the philisophical thoughts.

I guess I have to deviate from your·reasoning and say I view·robots very differently. Partly becuase my thesis·was on AI and how it intigrates everyday life. Medical science is one point where robots help and skilled surgeons run them. A surgeon can do the same thing but surgeons using robots make the post-op process less painful, reduce recovery times, minimize blood loss and make touchy procedures easier. If you want to do some reading check out some of the journals on surgery and robots, its rather interesting. My favorite journal is on the use of facial expressions in medicine by some Asian students (can't remember the exact name at the moment). Basiclly they deal with the Uncanny Valley and how people react to it. Popular Science has a great artical from 2003 on a guy who built a very real face of his lab assistant and stumbled across the Uncanney Valley. The articale was called something like the man who made his girlfriend into a robot.· Arclight.Net goes into the Uncanny Valley and what it is. Fun reading.

Back to topic - For me robots are several things combined into one. Its the ability to do something technical while being creative. Its the desire to create a machine beyond something like an engine, to make something I know can be done but don't know how. Its also a way·to satisfy my thirsty curiousity, and a way for me to have a challenge. Not many·things challenge me, but I can always build more complex robots. With Robots I get to deal with mechanical, electrical and computer·processes and the sensor can involve touch, light, sound, water... Many different ideas get integrated into robots and pretty much if you can dream it you can do it. It helps me get over my bordum·I experience most days.

roll.gif
  • okonisfreeokonisfree Posts: 38
    edited 2006-08-04 14:32
    lol bruce bates...ne1 ever seen the movie I, Robot?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ~okonisfree

"When life gives you lemons...

SUCK IT UP!"

lol jk