Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
user interface creation — Parallax Forums

user interface creation

Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
edited 2006-08-01 14:48 in Propeller 1
I've been thinking about the front end of my application, I could go for a simple text based system or get the mouse involved with buttons etc.

If I go down the GUI route I suppose the best thing might be to create button objects that can be created at differing points on the screen and with differing text. You also need to relate button positions to the mouse clicks.

I am thinking that time spent in the planning of the objects and their use might pay dividends, I want to avoid lots of magic numbers and fiddling and code reuse would also be a bonus.

Wondering if anyone else is working on this kind of thing.

Graham

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-07-31 16:57
    Graham,
    Please look at the "Operating System" I've posted. It's a simple text based system. Button are "cooler", but more complex to do and having the underlying functionality is more important for now. You can still do buttons if you want. There's a fairly full windowed vga hires text interface patterned on tv_wtext.
    Mike
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-08-01 10:19
    You make a very good point, I suspect the same is true for me as well, I really need to get my hands dirty with some code but I can't help but think about the way I eventually want it to look. I'll have a look at your OS, I intended to anyway mainly to get a look at a ful l application rather than a demo.

I'll keep thinking about it, it would be nice to find a compact format for button menu creation which mean it is not much more complicated than text but with the coolness factor.

I can't find any references to tv_wtext, where should I be looking?

Cheers,

Graham
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-08-01 14:48
    Graham,

The latest version of tv_wtext can be downloaded here: http://forums.parallax.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42496

Mike,

I don't know if this is the version you started with. If not, it fixes some of the "lazy return" boundary conditions you mentioned earlier. If any still remain, please tell me about them.

Thanks,
    Phil