Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
VGA Demo — Parallax Forums

VGA Demo

NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
edited 2006-07-15 21:45 in Propeller 1
In looking at the VGA_Demo I noted that the letters for the demo words are called one letter at a time.· I am presently using TV_Terminal in the Propeller program for my mill but would like to switch to VGA because I have a nice 15" LCD monitor in the shop.· Is it possible to display strings with the VGA mode like I can do with TV_Terminal?

Sid

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-07-14 18:21
    Yes, most of the methods (including "str") are included in both. Just change the name of the file in the OBJ statement from "tv_text" to "vga_text".
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-07-14 18:35
    Mike, VGA_Demo has one object - vga.· VGA.spin has no objects so there is no "tv_text" object.

In VGA_Demo I wrote:

print(string("Meow"))

and it compiled but I can't run it because I don't have my Demo board yet.· Is the above statement correct?

Sid
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2006-07-15 21:27
    It should be:

print.str(string("Meow"))

RoboGeek

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "I reject your reality and subsitute my own!"

Adam Savage, Mythbusters
    www.parallax.com
    www.goldmine-elec.com
    www.expresspcb.com
    www.startrek.com
    ·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-07-15 21:45
    Sid,
    There are several objects that use the VGA output. Most of them internally use the "vga" object contained in "vga.spin" to build the vga signal from a bitmap. To do something useful with this, there's the "vga_text" object in "vga_text.spin". This provides the interface you're using (like 'print.str(string("Meow"))') which includes decimal, hex, and binary output editing. These calls are intentionally the same as those used by "tv_text" which puts out a bitmap on the TV output.

There is a separate high resolution text output object called "vga_hires_text" that's mostly compatible and several graphics objects like "vga_512x384_bitmap" and a bitmap graphics object called "graphics" that can use either "tv" or "vga" for low resolution graphics.
    Mike