Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TV output and graphics for Propstick ? — Parallax Forums

TV output and graphics for Propstick ?

T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
edited 2006-07-13 13:47 in Propeller 1
I just got my Propstick yesterday and ran a couple of programs to flash an LED. However, I see some program that allow TV and graphics to be displayed. How do I connect my Propstick to my TV or VGA monitor (what pins, other components needed)?

Thanks.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-07-11 23:36
    You will need three resistors, an RCA jack and a stub of wire for ground. Connect them as shown in the attached schematic.

Cheers!
    Phil
    389 x 282 - 4K
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-07-11 23:51
    Resistors must be 1 percent.

Sid
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-07-12 00:02
    I have been using 5% ones all along, no problems here

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
  • T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2006-07-12 00:07
    Thanks for the schematic. Is this documented somewhere? Is it always pins P12, P13, and P14?

I see in the Propeller Demo board it uses these pins and it shows VGA. Is this the documentation we should be using as a standard for writing Propeller Spin code. Can other pins be used or are these pins on the Propeller Demo board etched in stone (or at least within the Propeller chip itself)?

Thanks.

Post Edited (T&E Engineer) : 7/12/2006 12:14:41 AM GMT
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-07-12 00:14
    Look at the schematic for the Propeller Demo board.· Just follow that.

Sid
  • SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2006-07-12 00:15
    i believe its documented in the tv graphics spin... you have to use consecutive pins on a 4 pin boundary, 12,13,14 are default, for tv.. look at the demoboard schematic and it will show you whats the default.
    on vga look at demoboard schematic it will show you the pins... also there are several spin programs for vga and for tv.
    dan

ps i use 12,13,14 pins with my propstick and and my resistors are about those values,but not exact, as i used what i had in stock with 5%
    it works good for my debug term ( have picture tuner card in computer )
    ·
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2006-07-12 11:52
    Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) said...
    You will need three resistors, an RCA jack and a stub of wire for ground. Connect them as shown in the attached schematic.

Cheers!
    Phil

What exactly is the output at the RCA jack? I connected it to my ATI card's "Video In" once with no output and haven't tried since (using VGA since).

Thanks!
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-07-12 13:16
    The output is composit video.
    I used the demo board's schmatic and 5%'s to make mine.
    When making it from scratch, you not only have to trouble shoot the hardware you made, you also have to trouble shoot the connection and the software.
    What I did was take the TV demo, and not change anything in it until after I had tv output. (I used it's output pins in my early tests).
    Next, I used a VCR's Line in, to the 13" tv. Within a few minutes, POOF... Propeller on TV.
    After the thrill of succedding in such a simple task (yes, I did celebrate... my soldering skills are THAT bad, but improving!), I moved to other things.
    My PC has an ATI all in wonder, with video in as well. It was nothing changing the output from the VCR to the PC... but getting the ATI to display it was another thing!
    I had to go an manually add the line input as a channel, then select it. But it's great.
    Now that I'm playing with the VGA, I have to get a KVM switch so I can share between the PC and the propeller, thus removing the laptop from the circuit.
    So for now, there's the laptop and a 13" VGA monitor, two keyboards (no mouse yet, but that's changing soon...) and all the "Junk"...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2006-07-12 14:04
    Kaos Kidd said...
    The output is composit video.
    I used the demo board's schmatic and 5%'s to make mine.
    When making it from scratch, you not only have to trouble shoot the hardware you made, you also have to trouble shoot the connection and the software.
    What I did was take the TV demo, and not change anything in it until after I had tv output. (I used it's output pins in my early tests).
    Next, I used a VCR's Line in, to the 13" tv. Within a few minutes, POOF... Propeller on TV.
    After the thrill of succedding in such a simple task (yes, I did celebrate... my soldering skills are THAT bad, but improving!), I moved to other things.
    My PC has an ATI all in wonder, with video in as well. It was nothing changing the output from the VCR to the PC... but getting the ATI to display it was another thing!
    I had to go an manually add the line input as a channel, then select it. But it's great.
    Now that I'm playing with the VGA, I have to get a KVM switch so I can share between the PC and the propeller, thus removing the laptop from the circuit.
    So for now, there's the laptop and a 13" VGA monitor, two keyboards (no mouse yet, but that's changing soon...) and all the "Junk"...

Thanks for the response.

I also have a couple of systems with ATI AIW cards - the one I use for Stamp/Prop is an older 8500 and the other is a 9800 - wasn't able to get video on either (I did select Video In). Your response now lets me know that it SHOULD work - I just need to spend some time troubleshooting.
  • T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2006-07-13 02:17
    I wanted to thank everyone for the good information and pass along a good idea I had (maybe someone else thought of this too). Go to Radio Shack and buy p/n: 278-2067 for a couple of bucks (Snap-In Module Gold Plated Phono Jack) and it fits nicely on a solderless breadboard for a video connector. Check out my picture attachments. Sorry about the low quality from my webcam. All 3 resistors fit into place nicely and the short ground. It creates some stability for the video connector.

Thanks.
    160 x 120 - 4K
    160 x 120 - 3K
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-07-13 13:47
    T&E.. Nice...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·