Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamps connected together — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamps connected together

Casey_SCUCasey_SCU Posts: 19
edited 2006-07-11 16:34 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I've decided to link a few Basic Stamps together to get more ability out of my Boe-Bot. I was wondering if anyone had a schematic that showed the best way to connected the stamps?

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-07-10 18:44
    Casey -

Where do you see an advantage of multiple Stamps, over multi-bank programming, or possibly POLLing with the BS2p series, alternatively dsepending on your particular or specific needs?

If the issue is merely I/O ports, there are numerous easily workable solutions available there.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • Casey_SCUCasey_SCU Posts: 19
    edited 2006-07-10 19:00
    Bruce,
    I'm pretty new to PBasic and would like you to explain multi-bank programming and polling.
    I am using just the BS2 on my system.
    Thanks,
    Casey
    edited 2006-07-10 19:26
    Casey -

You will lean a lot more than I can offer by download and reading the Parallax PBASIC Manual if you haven't done so already. Here is a link where you can download it:
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/basicstamps/documentation_basic_stamp.asp

The "Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual" is what you want.

Once you've read about those topics fully, if you have any further questions, I'm sure we can help you out.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
    edited 2006-07-10 19:48
    Bruce,
    I have already read the PBASIC Manual, What's a Microcontroller, and Robotics with the Boe-Bot. I did not come across anything about multi-bank programming.
    Thanks,
    Casey
    edited 2006-07-11 00:44
    Casey -

Please go back to the PBASIC Manual and re-read the section on the RUN command. This is only applicable to the BS-2SX, BS-2e and any of the BS-2p? Stamps.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-07-11 04:24
    There is a little example in the PBasic manual and, I think, in a Nuts and Volts article on networking several Stamps together. Basically, it takes one pin on each Stamp. These are all connected together and there's a pullup resistor, maybe 4.7K or 10K to +5V on one of the Stamps. All of the Stamps also have to have a common ground. The open mode is used with SEROUT. Usually one Stamp is the master and this sends commands to the others. The slaves listen using SERIN with a timeout. When they see a properly formatted (by your standard) command with their address (you assign one), they process the command and give a response that indicates that they've received it. The master is listening for this after sending the command. If the master doesn't receive an acknowledgment, it tries again later. There are all kinds of techniques to sort out at the slave whether the command just received is a duplicate of one sent before and so on. That's a long discussion and the subject of textbooks on network protocols and error recovery.
    edited 2006-07-11 04:54
    Casey -

There is more information on multi-bank programming, with worked examples, in Nuts & Volts Colum #87 which can be downloaded from here:
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/nvcolumns/Nuts_Volts_Downloads_V3.asp

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
    edited 2006-07-11 16:34
    Bruce and Mike,
    Thanks for the information. That should be enough to get me started.
    Thanks,
    Casey