Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
arrgh prop smoke, i think — Parallax Forums

arrgh prop smoke, i think

SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
edited 2006-06-25 12:29 in Propeller 1
well, while rewiring the adc circut i left out the 50k resistor and applied 9 volts to it... was connected to pins 16,17··· my video went blank imediatly...now i can get it to blink 2 leds, but it wont do video, and it wont run the program right to display those seven seg displays of beans.... i finnaly just stopped messing with it tonight... now the question is... is there a progam that i can run to see if the whole chips bad ? like a memory tester ?
and can i order just the label for the propstick and a new propeller ?
one of those duh moments..
dansad.gif

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-06-24 11:03
    Use BlinkLED.spin...

Just change it to blink a LED on each pin in succession.
    Then, if that works...

Start a new instance in each COG, with each one using a different pin.

That should test all COGs and I/O-pins...

the rest...
    We'll take that when you've tried this...

BTW: Those labels are neat... smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2006-06-24 13:15
    its dead, wont respond to anything this morning..
    ordered 2 more, so i have a spare. it says backordered to 6/28
    ahh well back to playing with sx chips
    dan
    edited 2006-06-25 03:01
    strange, tried a bunch of pins tonight, and they will blink a led, however if i try cognew to blink they just stay on steady... it wont do the "its alive" program of the propstick ( its mounted in a propstick) i wonder if it's a timing issue... cant get it to do video or hc4led

is there a simple way of telling if the 5 mhz clock on the propstick is fried ?

dan
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2006-06-25 04:04
    It's possible you damaged one of the COG's. Try 'coginit' instead of 'cognew' and systematically go through all eight of the COG's.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-06-25 04:38
    You may be able to get it to do one thing or another, but if it's not fully functional, consider it dead. 9 volts·would fry its guts. I'm sure that whatever problems you discover, there are still·more. You just need a new chip.
    Sawmiller said...

strange, tried a bunch of pins tonight, and they will blink a led, however if i try cognew to blink they just stay on steady... it wont do the "its alive" program of the propstick ( its mounted in a propstick) i wonder if it's a timing issue... cant get it to do video or hc4led

is there a simple way of telling if the 5 mhz clock on the propstick is fried ?

dan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-06-25 12:29
    yup i think so too, but im on the last day before i go on midnights for a week, so i'm pokin it.
    i've ordered 2 more propellors, havent got the ADC working yet..
    code so far is.

ps did try coginit also.... went thru the cogs backwards , no change.
    ·this is what i mean about the clock, look at blink .spin at the clock settings

Post Edited (Sawmiller) : 6/25/2006 1:48:39 PM GMT