Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Tool — Parallax Forums

Propeller Tool

sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
edited 2006-05-08 04:36 in Propeller 1
A simple question about the Propeller Tool..· By chance does it take inventory of drives attached to the machine as you open it?· I am experiencing a significant delay while opening the application..· I have a number of mapped drives to several network paths... and figured that may be a part of it.

Comments

• Adrian SchneiderAdrian Schneider Posts: 92
    edited 2006-05-05 07:37
    Hello

One other minor issue with the Propeller Tool: the character chart allwasy inserts, even when the editor is in overstrike mode.
    I use overstrike a lot when drawing diagrams - and I really like drawing diagrams with the PT, its simple and does the job.

Regards
    Adrian
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2006-05-05 09:56
    Sharpie,

I too, have noticed the long time it takes to open the Tool. My guess is that this is due to it being a stand alone .exe (executable) program, and it needs to "unfold" itself. I'm a complete rookie to all this, so that is the best I could explain why.

Regardless, you aren't alone in noticing that, and I would take it as part of the cost of doing business. Easy solution, never close it (you know you won't anyway!)

-Parsko
  • sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
    edited 2006-05-06 02:05
    Thanks parsko.

Seriously though, it looks like the preferences portion hasn't been completed yet.... If there's anything that can be switched off as an option to allow it to open faster (enumerating serial ports, drives, etc..), something that could be a configurable option..
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-05-06 07:46
    Try looking at it with FileMon and RegMon from SysInternals. FileMon shows real-time file system access, RegMon shows real-time registry access. Process Explorer is also useful, as you can view process details in-depth.

There should be some articles on the SysInternals site on their use, but in a nutshell, start the utilities, then start the Propeller Tool. The utilities will capture all of the file system, registry, and process info that the Propeller Tool generates, and you can save the logs. For real-time viewing, disable the auto-scroll feature.

Here is the site:

www.sysinternals.com
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2006-05-06 07:56
    Yes, Sharpie, I had mentioned that too. The Preferences portion will be available in the future. We have plenty other things to learn before worrying about that just yet though... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

-Parsko
    edited 2006-05-06 10:44
    Good idea Kevin, thanks. I'm very familiar with sysinternals.. I will try that, in addition to a few other things like trying other machines..etc... (which I've been putting off for when I have more time).
    edited 2006-05-06 10:59
    Well, that didn't take long. From the results I got with filemon, I would say it safe to assume it's trying to search all drives... networked as well as HDs..

People at parallax: please give us the option to disable this and specify our own path for files.
    I'm not sure if I am the only one who stores my source code on the network, but I know I'm not the only one in my group..
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-05-08 04:36
    Well, from FileMon it looks like the Propeller Tool is searching more than is really necessary on start-up. I think this should be changed to avoid potential conflicts / problems.