Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
assember reference manual — Parallax Forums

assember reference manual

JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
edited 2006-05-05 18:31 in Propeller 1
Chaps,

And idea's when the assember reference is going to be released?

Its rather difficult to guess the syntax from the command listing!!

Would this be the missing chapter 3?

Cheers,

James

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-05-03 21:09
    No, chapter 3 seems to be about Spin as it's listed as 'Programming Tutorial'.

Chapter 5 is the Assembly-language part, and as it seems to dedicate a whole page/instruction, I assume that it is rather detailed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-05-03 21:21
    I don't know the target date since I'm not writing the manual, but I can suggest you look at the library examples included in the installation -- you'll see a bit of Chip's handiwork in assembly.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2006-05-03 21:27
    Hi Jon,

I've been looking at those and the beta group postings, but without a reference its hard to guess the syntax.

For example i've been trying to blink a LED in assembler (you gotta start somewhere) and use the WAITCNT assembler command. In Spin it seems to take only one parameter i.e.
    WAITCNT (cnt+X)

in assember the IDE asks for a second parameter........??????

Any prelim material available that could be released on the forums only so people can start to learn.....???

Cheers,

James
    edited 2006-05-03 21:30
    This is the only thing available at this time:

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/prop/AssemblyElements.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2006-05-03 21:31
    Thanks Jon.
    edited 2006-05-03 21:48
    I found an "internal only" document and can shed some light on that: the second parameter gets added into the first after the operation.· This make sense, especially if you had some sort of loop where waitcnt was controlling timing; by adding the number of cycles after waitcnt, everything happens in one operation.· Using #0 as the second parameter means you'll have to manually reload the first parameter.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2006-05-04 20:06
    Jon,

Thanks for looking - its not working - I'll wait for the manual!!

James
    edited 2006-05-05 03:57
    Attached is a simple demo Chip wrote for me, it should help clarify things.· Note that the PAR register is used as an address pointer.· In the demo you can see how the pin and the delay cycles are passed as parameters to the assembly program.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2006-05-05 10:05
    NOTE for newbies: I am one too, this program works! I'm amazed, but it does. I simply opened it, hit F11, and my LED is sitting on the table next to me blinking.

This is written in assembly. Jon, in theory, this could be used from a "master" cog, in a slave (different) cog independently, since it is pure assm. Sorry, I'm still grasping the concept of having a library of ASSY objects to call upon to do things wicked wicked wicked fast in other cogs.

My point, this works.

-Parsko
    edited 2006-05-05 13:50
    With nothing else running, the program is loaded into Cog 0. When cognew is used, the assembly portion (in the DAT block) is moved to Cog 1.· If you didn't want to pass the values from the Spin portion, you could actually hard-code them as in the example I've attached -- this shows that it takes just one line of Spin to launch a program into a new Cog.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams

Post Edited (Jon Williams (Parallax)) : 5/5/2006 1:53:24 PM GMT
    edited 2006-05-05 18:31
    Jon,

Thanks for posting this!

James