Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID + BoE issue — Parallax Forums

RFID + BoE issue

ck3kck3k Posts: 4
edited 2006-04-28 22:19 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I have 2 BoE setups, one that came with my BoE-bot and then another I purchased seperatly. I had setup the RFID reader on the BoE-bot platform and it worked awesomely, but I transfered it over to the new BoE. The only differances I can see is that my new one has it's power supplied via a 6.5w adapter, where as my bot is a battery powered model. I was curious if I am hooking something up wrong or if there is something differant about the two. The boards both look to be rev. C.

Does anyone have the scematic for using an rfid reader with the BoE, I have the generic instructions, but they don't go into enormous detail about power.

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-04-24 23:16
    Can you provide us more details on your set up?· Maybe include a wiring diagram or a pin out of your circuit.· Make sure that you are using the exact same I/O pins as the working version.· Also, are you able to program both boards, meaning that we can eliminate the BASIC Stamp as being the issue?

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-25 01:00
    The RFID reader takes a bit of current when it's transmitting -- you may not have enough umph in your second power supply. The DC characteristics are detailed on page 4 of the documentation.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • ck3kck3k Posts: 4
    edited 2006-04-25 01:31
    I can program both boards, I am burning in the one that wasn't working with some leds, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

So now it appears on both boards, including the working model, I am guessing somehow I fried the rfid reader, no idea how or why, could I have even done this? It could be some bad jumper cables I guess.
    edited 2006-04-25 05:50
    As an update, I am confident that it is fried, the board doesn't illuminate it's green LED when it is pluged in properly. I am guessing I might have accidently plugged it into unregulated power or something to that nature. If anyone has some suggestions. I guess I will order another one of the little buggers and not mess it up this time.

** I just ordered a new one, figured I can always use two.

Post Edited (ck3k) : 4/25/2006 6:21:02 AM GMT
    edited 2006-04-27 06:02
    I just bought a new one, all works. I guess I must have accidently plugged the rfid reader into the unregulated power....darn.
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2006-04-28 22:19
    Hi ck3k

I am sorry to hear that you fried the rfid reader

I did the same thing to the frist one ( of two ) that i bought i hook up the 5 volt reg to the wrong pin on the rfid reader board ( it was a good thing i had order two of them)

This happen when i was finshed testing the reader and i was putting it in a case
    for a project that i made

Now when i hook this board up i now recheck 3 or 4 time that i have it right

Sam