Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wheels for new project — Parallax Forums

Wheels for new project

ToddHToddH Posts: 34
edited 2006-04-19 13:41 in Robotics
Hello.... Beginner Todd here [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I tried to create my own Quad Crawler robot and had limited success. My main issue was my lack of tools to do the fabrication. My scroll saw just doesn't want to cut well and my bot ended up being a little heavy for the arms to move around properly. In the end it lumbered and "sort of" moved. LOL. Live and learn.

Now - I want to replace the lifting motion of the arms with wheels. I'm going to program the back wheels to drive (using continuous rotation servos) and program the front arms to move left and right while the front wheels are always free moving (not on servos).

I would like to use wheels that you might find on a typical RC Truck. Something along the lines of 2, 3 or 4 inches high. Can any kind soul point me to where I can purchase such wheels. I will need to attach 2 to my rear servos and somehow attach the front 2 so the spin in a free fashion.

If you want to see what my failed quad crawler looks like go here toddsblogspot.blogspot.com/

Thanks a bunch [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Post Edited (ToddH) : 4/18/2006 1:21:52 AM GMT

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-04-18 00:49
    Parallax has some wheels, or try·www.robotstore.com
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-04-18 01:20
    www.towerhobby.com/ - enter tires in the search field and you'll see hundreds of results.
  • A.C. fishingA.C. fishing Posts: 262
    edited 2006-04-18 15:16
    Try your local hobby town
  • ToddHToddH Posts: 34
    edited 2006-04-18 16:22
    thanks for the suggestions [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • bobledouxbobledoux Posts: 187
    edited 2006-04-19 13:41
    A comment on making multiple parts:

While CNC is the best way to cut multiple parts with precision, there are other methods that can be used.

Here's one:

Make a pattern of your part in 1/4 inch aircraft plywood purchased from a hobby shop. This is hot glued or screwed to an oversized piece of aluminum or plastic, intended to be the actual robot part.

Trim the robot part to size using a router mounted in a router table. The router bit is a carbide tipped laminate trimmer. This bit has a ball bearing that follows the pattern while cutting the part.

There are limits to this approach. The laminate trimmer bit has a diameter of about half an inch so it cannot cut sharp corners. Robot parts are small so give careful thought to safety. A router bit can make mincemeat of a finger so take care!