Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Maximum serial speed — Parallax Forums

Maximum serial speed

inakiinaki Posts: 262
edited 2006-04-18 10:51 in Propeller 1
I would need to manage a device that is capable of running at 2Mbps through serial. Do you think it would be possible to manage such speed from propeller. In other words I need something like Chip's·FullDuplex object but running a 2Mbps.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-04-15 22:29
    Yes, this is demanding enough, though, that you would have to hard-code it in assembly for a known clock rate (ie 80MHz). At 80Mhz, you have 20MIPS, which boils down to 10 instructions per bit. This is enough speed to do 10MBPS for regular serial (not Manchester encoded, though Peter has found ways way around that).
    inaki said...
    I would need to manage a device that is capable of running at 2Mbps through serial. Do you think it would be possible to manage such speed from propeller. In other words I need something like Chip's·FullDuplex object but running a 2Mbps.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2006-04-15 23:22
    Thanks Chip.

I think it will be fun to program.

FYI the device is a Bluetooth 2 module.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2006-04-16 03:09
    Are you able to specify non-standard baud rates? I have been trying to figure out for the longest time now how to try to "listen in" on the PCI bus in my car. It uses a J1850 type interface that runs at 10.4 Kb/s. It's the method of communication between the Radio in a Chrysler and the CD changer. I snoop in on the signals sent between the two and try to emulate the CD changer and make the radio think one is connected when it is not. Maybe the Propeller is the tool that I've been waiting for ???
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-04-16 03:12
    You can do whatever baud you want. At 80MHz, you've got 12.5ns step resolution (1/80 us). So far, the serial objects we've written accept baud rates in 1bps increments. You would use 10400, in this case. You're going to have fun!
    parts-man73 said...
    Are you able to specify non-standard baud rates? I have been trying to figure out for the longest time now how to try to "listen in" on the PCI bus in my car. It uses a J1850 type interface that runs at 10.4 Kb/s. It's the method of communication between the Radio in a Chrysler and the CD changer. I snoop in on the signals sent between the two and try to emulate the CD changer and make the radio think one is connected when it is not. Maybe the Propeller is the tool that I've been waiting for ???
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2006-04-18 10:20
    inaki,

The EB500 (bluetooth serials) support a max rate of 230400baud.

james
  • inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2006-04-18 10:51
    James, I am not talking about EB500. The board I am talking about is a Bluetooth 2 that reaches 3Mbps.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔