Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Windows 98 — Parallax Forums

Windows 98

David BDavid B Posts: 591
edited 2006-04-04 16:48 in Propeller 1
In these forums, there is an issue that comes up periodically that someone wants their Scenix to interrupt on an external event while also using the RTCC to regularly interrupt for some other purpose, like keeping a long-term clock counter or managing RS232 or some other VP, and the consensus is that the single-CPU Scenixes cannot easily deal with that situation. I've wanted to make a project that would do the same thing myself before.

When the propeller came out, my first thought was Wow - now we can deal with that!

But I'm one of those who has resisted Microsoft's pushes to regularly upgrade and am still using Windows98. So I guess I'm out of luck on Propeller development at least for now.

The sticky post at the top of this topic does say that Parallax intends to eventually release a Propeller compiler library for Macs and Linux, but not until possibly later this year.

Will this library also work on Windows98? Will the Propeller tool absolutely not run on Win98?

I'd like to order a Propeller, but I'm worried that I won't be able to program it...

David

·

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2006-04-04 16:48
    David,

Your guess is correct - the Propeller IDE will not run on Win98 - you will need Win2000 or above. The compiler library release will take some development time, so unless you're willing to wait I suggest you seek out a Win2000 upgrade from eBay for $40-50.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Ken Gracey (Parallax)) : 4/4/2006 6:14:01 PM GMT