Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PWM on a BS2e — Parallax Forums

PWM on a BS2e

jackbauerjackbauer Posts: 4
edited 2006-03-22 17:20 in Robotics
Hi there.

I'm new to these forums so I apologise if this has already been answered but I done a quick search and didn't find anything.

I have purchased the BS2e Stamp to use in a line following robot. Mainly because it looks easy to use as I have no experience with microcontrollers.

I plan to control it by PID control and have 4 light sensors detecting the line (I already have an A/D converter chip). I'm not using any servos for steering, I've got a dual H-Bridge controlling my two motors, I don't need to go in reverse but the h-bridge needs PWM to vary the speeds for steering. (no doubt you already know all this rolleyes.gif )

I was wondering how the basic stamp would do this though? I know it can do software PWM but I've read that its not a very good way to do it as it will bog down the Stamp. I'm wanting a fairly high degree of control as well so I'm assuming software PWM isn't the best way to do it?

I've read about the Motor Mind B (I take it the MMB will be fine for 2 motors as its the H-Bridge that controls them and not the MMB itself?) and PWMPAL but I'm not too sure how they work. What sort of signal do they require from the Basic Stamp and how does it achieve the PWM?

Sorry about all the questions confused.gif , hope you can help

Comments

• jackbauerjackbauer Posts: 4
    edited 2006-03-21 21:18
    in fact, scratch my previous question.

just two simple ones now, what is better, the MMB or the PWMPAL?

and how bogged down does the BS2e module get when you use software PWM?

Post Edited (jackbauer) : 3/21/2006 9:22:27 PM GMT
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-03-22 17:20
    The PWMPAL provides only TTL outputs, and can be used for a variety of applications. If you're only target is motor control, the MMB might be a better choice.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax