Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Scribbler Programming — Parallax Forums

Scribbler Programming

handnfinehandnfine Posts: 1
edited 2006-03-22 03:26 in Robotics

Can Scribbler Robot be programmed from a Windows 98SE platform using the Basic Stamp Editor?

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-03-21 03:19
    The latest (version 2.2.5) Basic Stamp Editor works fine on my Windows 98SE computer programming a BS2. I don't know why Parallax no longer lists Windows 98SE as a supported platform.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-21 20:41
    Hello,

·· The reason we don't list Windows 98SE anymore on some software is that as we update the software we no longer have the means to test it on older operating systems such as Windows 95/98/ME.· The reasons for this are due to Microsoft discontinuing these products as well as support.· The software may be compiled on or include updated libraries or components which may or may not require Windows 2K/XP or higher to run.··The fact is that the BASIC Stamp Editor may in fact run fine on Windows 98SE, but we cannot guarantee that nor support it on that platform anymore for the above listed reasons.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-03-21 21:58
    Chris -

Just as matter of clarification, Microsoft support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me will continue until July 11, 2006, due to their revised, extended support policy, as stated here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/support/endofsupport.mspx

Parallax can choose to support whatever Microsoft Operating System they chose to, but presently only Windows 95 has lost Microsoft's support.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-22 03:26
    That page only states part of the story.· Non-critical support must be paid for.· Therefore while critical updates that become available can still be gotten free, everything else is on a paid basis.· This also does not take into consideration that most modern computers are incapable of running Windows 98 due to lack of any Windows 98 compatible drivers for the hardware.· The bottom line is there is no current support for Windows 95/98/ME.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com