Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Video input — Parallax Forums

Video input

John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
edited 2006-03-17 23:08 in Propeller 1
I've seen lots of post about video output.· What about video input for road following or object recognition?

Comments

• KenLemKenLem Posts: 94
    edited 2006-03-01 15:57
    You'd need a camera that had a digital output but it's possible.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.speechchips.com

Speech & Video IC's for BasicStamps
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2006-03-17 07:01
    Anymore info available on this yet?

kelvin
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-03-17 12:50
    Dont expect the propeller's input to be as fast as it's possible output. Alot of the video output functions rely upon the three specialized peripherals (two very fancy counters and a video peripheral). The counters are the Barry Bonds of the counter world, they have many many different ways of configuration plus they can be souped up with a PLL. As such you can get frequencies upto 128MHz (Beau has already tested the output at the frequency of a local radio station and made it silent for a 100' radius around the propeller). That said, all the specialized helpers are output only (the counters have a feedback input, but designing circuits at such high frequencies is problematic, look at the ADC example in another thread in this forum). So dont expect to be able to design a program that can snag a local television station and encode the video without employing alot of external circuitry trickery (and no I dont know how one would go about doing so).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 3/17/2006 12:53:49 PM GMT
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2006-03-17 23:08
    Bummer. Thanks for the reply Paul. I was really hoping not to hear that, but it is still early yet, so things may still change. It is too bad, because once the video data was inside the Propeller, i imagine there could be some amazing things done with it. A small list >> real-time encoding, pixel manipulation, bit depth, colour depth, real time effects layers, pixel scanning, virtual 3D from 2D, and the list goes on. I will see if the firewire interface might hold some clues. Anyway, the Propeller looks great , awesome work from the Parallax crew.

kelvin