Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Electronic Kerosine Lamp — Parallax Forums

Electronic Kerosine Lamp

John BondJohn Bond Posts: 369
edited 2006-03-16 16:06 in Robotics
Jon Williams did an article on making digital candles using a BS1.
See http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol6/col/nv126.pdf

I’ve converted this to use a SX28 and put it in a hurricane lamp. It looks petty realistic. ·I’d been having a bit of trouble with the chip clocking and when Bean gave me a fix, he suggested I post some photos. Well here they are.

As good as the photos look, they don’t do justice to the flame. The flame consists of 5 LEDs cast in clear resin. The light from the LEDs defuses in the “flame” as they get brighter and dimmer and this gives the impression that the flame is moving.

Interestingly, the hurricane lamp cost under US$2.00, about 2/3rds of the price of the SX28 IC in South Africa. When I showed it to our old Tea Lady at work, she was amazed that someone could be stupid enough to make a battery operated paraffin lamp. The reason is that she finally got electricity in her house last year and is glad that she’ll never have to clean paraffin lamps again.

Kind Regards from Darkest Africa

John Bond

Post Edited (John Bond) : 3/16/2006 7:26:05 AM GMT

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-03-16 10:25
    Theaters are very wary of fire on stage or backstage in any form.
    These would make a great theatrical props as·they eliminate the fire hazard whilst providing the ambiance.

The package [noparse][[/noparse]in the form of the lantern] really gives it more authenticity.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-03-16 16:06
    We have had the most positive response to our "electronic candles" from theater managers for that reason; and we have a plane for a "smart wick" that simply requires power and will do the flickering itself (will have a little 8-pin PICmicro onboard).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax