·
·
·
So here are the steps
  • lm555 goes into a unknown Ic
  • the unknown Ic changes the direction
  • the in put from the lm555 is + motor goes forward
  • the input is - the motor is reverse
  • I have only one in put the chip must change direction buy what is said above
·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
····†hÎñk·õü†·†hÈ ßؤ···

Post Edited (vlip¿) : 3/12/2006 5:16:09 AM GMT

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-12 03:48
    Didn't you already have a thread going on this under another username?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-03-12 04:28
    trevor -

What kind of motors are you using?

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • vlip¿vlip¿ Posts: 5
    edited 2006-03-12 04:44
    just standard 12v 2 lead medium rpm

and no i do not already have this post
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,549
    edited 2006-03-12 06:15
    trevor,
    you said...

I need help controlling my motors with an IC that’s controlled by an lm555

So here are the steps

* lm555 goes into a unknown Ic
    * the unknown Ic changes the direction
    * the in put from the lm555 is + motor goes forward
    * the input is - the motor is reverse
    * I have only one in put the chip must change direction buy what is said above

Is this stamp related?

Your unknown IC is what is commonly known as an H-Bridge.....

1) Go to ... www.google.com
    2) Click on Images
    3) Search for.... H-Bridge IC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-03-12 08:22
    This is what is obvious.

The unknown IC would have to have an H-Bridge within it [noparse][[/noparse]or be able to be used like an H-bridge] to change DC motor directions.

This H-Bridge has to be able to handle at least 12 volts.

Two popular H-bridge chips are L293 and L298.· The L298 is more powerful.

The LM555 can work in several different ways. [noparse][[/noparse]A Chopper, a PWM generator (takes two or a 556), or a single pulse trigger]

What the LM555 does depends on what the 'mystery chip' needs.

Also, you can measure the resistance of the two motors to give·yourself some more information· E= I X R.

Identifying old mystery components is always a gamble -- expect a 50% chance or less of getting what you want.· It is much easier to learn with known, new devices as they are documented and expected to not be broken. Many manufactures try to hide the part identifcations so that no one knows.

A diagram of the existing circuitry that·the chip·was taken from would greatly help you·identify the 'mystery chip'.· If that is not possible, a diagram of the circuit you are trying to build may help identify what you need.

Still, I think that many of us started out by taking apart old and broken junk and trying to make it work.· Good luck.

Parallax is a business that provides support to customers and a community to share out common interests. If you really think that you can learn more here, take a look at the on-site shopping [noparse][[/noparse]www.parallax.com] and consider what you might buy to help you.· There are a lot of free downloadable·books that will help you learn.· LOOK AT WHAT'S A MICROPROCESSOR· - an excellent book to start with.

But, in the end you have to in some manner·support whomever you choose to help you learn.· I learned auto mechanics from a guy that never finished high school, but he was willing to share because I respected him even though he could barely read.· That's life.·· There is always your·local library.· In some ways it can provide information that is not easy to get on the internet.

Truely with kindness,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 3/12/2006 8:45:29 AM GMT
    edited 2006-03-13 03:48
    So what kind of h-bridge could I use?

I can supply the inputs for the h-bridge]

Also my amps may vary but would the h-bridge be able to handle amp spikes and voltage spikes like if there’s a malfunction and my motors jam would the IC handle it or would I bust and burn?

One last thing where can I buy it could I buy it at
    This is an electronic supply the sell almost anything cables switches trasisters…etc
    http://68.146.204.172/mro/products.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ····†hÎñk·õü†·†hÈ ßؤ···
    edited 2006-03-13 05:54
    Trevor -

Here is a Canadian Parallax Distributor who has H-Bridges which should work for you:
    http://www.hvwtech.com/products_view.asp?CatID=113&SubCatID=146&SubSubCatID=0&ProductID=30

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-03-13 09:26
    Hmmm,
    That Canadian distributor has BasicStamps at the same [noparse][[/noparse]or nearly the same] prices as Parallax. Buy local, save duty and shipping.

If that motor controller is not good enough for you, the HB-25 [noparse][[/noparse]from Parallax] will do it. 1/2 horsepower!

TRY FINDING A BOOK ON MOTOR CONTROL at your local public library.· That way you can begin to understand all the choices.· It is impossible to explain so much in a posting.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 3/13/2006 10:01:40 AM GMT
    edited 2006-03-14 02:57
    Well its 5.00$ for one ,one last thing is how do you ,hook it up and is it safe to sod on or do i need a socket?

http://68.146.204.172/mro/default.asp

would that supllyer work

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ····†hÎñk·õü†·†hÈ ßؤ···

Post Edited (vlip¿) : 3/14/2006 3:19:22 AM GMT
    edited 2006-03-14 04:07
    Trevor -

You have to be more specific. Which "it" are you speaking about in your message below?

"Well its 5.00$ for one ,one last thing is how do you ,hook it up and is it safe to sod on or do i need a socket?"

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-14 06:09
    This thread is currently being locked.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com