Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problems with BoeBot — Parallax Forums

Problems with BoeBot

emeeemee Posts: 2
edited 2006-03-12 10:01 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi,
I just got the Boe-Bot today and have started to build it. I had only gotten to the stage where you install the software on your PC and connect the board to the serial port when i ran into trouble.

When i run the software and test the COM port by going to Run-> Identity it doesn't pick up that the circuit is connected to the serial port has anyone had the same problem or know how i might solve it? I tried the steps in the troubleshooting section of the book supplied with the Boe-Bot but had no luck solving the problem.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Emee·

Comments

• Xanadu VectorXanadu Vector Posts: 4
    edited 2006-03-11 02:12
    I'm assuming you're using a Windows OS and the cable is plugged into the serial port and the Boe-Bot is ON (switch pos 1 and green LED is ON) with the BS2 chip installed. Make sure the LED is ON, my Boe-Bot came with a bad power connector and wouldn't power on.

Right click your "My Computer" icon and click "Manage", then click "Device Manger" in the tree on the left. If you can't do that right click "My Computer" and then "Properties", click the "Hardware" tab, then "Device Manager". If you can't do that click "Start", then "Help" and search for "Device Manager"

Once Device Manager is open go down the list to "Ports (COM & LPT)" and double click it to expand it. You should see a list of installed ports. At least one "Communications Port (COM*)" should be listed. In the Basic Stamp application there is a box to check other ports for your Boe-Bot. Try every port that is listed in device manager.

If that still doesn't work let us know.

Post Edited (Xanadu Vector) : 3/11/2006 2:15:33 AM GMT
  • emeeemee Posts: 2
    edited 2006-03-11 16:44
    Hi i tried all the things you mentioned and still no joy. Didn't have time to waste trying to get it fixed so instead i bought a usb to serial adapter for my laptop and now its working ok.

Thanks for your help

Emer
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-03-12 10:01
    Happy to hear it is working out your laptop.

That indicates that the software is not properly installed on the other computer or there is a problem with the COM port.

You can re-install the software. Maybe download a copy from the Parallax web site if you think the CD is not being read.
    You can try using the COM port for something else that can verify it is working.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan