Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wheels — Parallax Forums

Wheels

J. A. StreichJ. A. Streich Posts: 158
edited 2006-03-10 23:50 in Robotics
I'm planning on upgrading a BoeBot -- and am intrest in knowing what solutions people have found for tank treds... I think the final box will be the size of small vacume (not an upright).

Comments

• Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-07-20 00:31
    I was surprised that you didn't get a better response to your posting...

I found a reasonable tread system at Budget Robotics... Here's the link --> http://www.budgetrobotics.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cat=122

I would also be interested what others have used.

I was just watching an episode of American Chopper and was surprised at how close a motorcycle drive belt looks like a tread inside out.· It might be a great material, but I wouldn't know how to seem it together.
  • J. A. StreichJ. A. Streich Posts: 158
    edited 2005-11-04 18:34
    Sorry to necro-post.

Been busy with larger things, but just wanted to post that I'm looking for something a bit more heay-duty...
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-11-04 19:04
    heavier than a motorcycle drive belt?
  • J. A. StreichJ. A. Streich Posts: 158
    edited 2005-11-04 19:11
    A motercycle belt is probably stong enough... Hmmm... Looking at a couple, I'd probably want to turn it inside out so the teeth were used for traction. I'll definatly be looking into that.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-11-07 15:34
    I guess some wide timing gear chain would be appropriate too.

It is all steel and comes about an inch to an inch and a half wide for transfering rotation from the crankshaft of a heavy engine to the cam shaft for lifting the valves.

If you need the weight for a low center fo gravity, it might be nice. Unless not lubricated, I fear sand would take a toll of them though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2005-11-07 16:05
    In line with the Motor Cycle Drive belt, you could also look into industrial drive belts. These come in a variety of sizes, pitches and widths. More significantly, with respect to "turning the drive belt inside out", they are also avaialable (at least in some sizes) with "teeth" on both sides of the belt.

These are also referred to as "timing belts" in the industrial world. There is also a good selection of pullies made to go with them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • lurch101lurch101 Posts: 1
    edited 2006-03-09 01:52
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/e-clec-tech/tanktracks.html

not sure if you found your tracks yet... but I found these guys online...
  • SciTech02SciTech02 Posts: 154
    edited 2006-03-09 02:08
    You could try "Boe Bot with Tank Treads" thread.· They had some neat tread ideas.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-03-10 04:16
    You could build a system from good old automotive rubber V-belts and pulleys. I think you would have to cut down the sides of the pulleys that are on the bottom in order to provide traction. There are even double and triple belt pulleys for a wider track.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • CatharsisCatharsis Posts: 27
    edited 2006-03-10 23:50
    Steve Joblin said...
    I was just watching an episode of American Chopper and was surprised at how close a motorcycle drive belt looks like a tread inside out. It might be a great material, but I wouldn't know how to seem it together.

I know know that many people have used timing belts as treads. There are two sided belts available, those would probably work well.