Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sumobot an IR eyes — Parallax Forums

Sumobot an IR eyes

CaipiCaipi Posts: 11
edited 2006-02-11 11:05 in Robotics
Hello,

This week I received my first SumoBot and got it up and running tongue.gif. I have the following issue: the detection of objects with the IR Leds is not so reliable. It works fine if the robot is in mode 1 (no power to the servo) and if I press and hold the leds and receivers for a while. When I relese it on the floor, There is often an eye that does not detect anything.

How can I attach these LEDs and receivers better?

Thx

Comments

• edited 2006-02-09 23:32
    The sockets are probably not maintaining electrical continuity with the IR LEDs and receiver leads.· There's a section about Ensuring Continuity in Chapter 3, Activity #1 in Applied Robotics with the SumoBot (follow link for PDF download). ·If that doesn't help, try the rest of the material in that activity too.

Post Edited (Andy Lindsay (Parallax)) : 2/9/2006 11:35:30 PM GMT
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-02-11 11:05
    Personally, I setup my IR soldered to little pieces of breadboard and have actual pins that plug into a cable or the motherboard.

90% of electrical failures are in the connections. Breadboard is fine to get started, but it never has been intended for long-term reliable use. Things fall apart or wiggle loose.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan