Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Simple LCD clock — Parallax Forums

Simple LCD clock

BullwinkleBullwinkle Posts: 101
edited 2006-02-10 22:43 in Robotics
This mini project utilises the Stampworks Development kit, containing the HD44780 (2x16) LCD display and the DS1307 RTC.

It is heavily based on experiments #11 and #33 from the StampWorks manual.

I have not provided a wiring diagram or schematic, since I didn't use any components not already available on the Stampworks kit.

Wiring is described as:

P0 <- 0 \
P1 <- 1 --- Momentary contact switches
P2 <- 2 /

P4 <-> SDA \ __ DS1307 RTC
P5 <-> SCL /

P8 <-> E \
P9 <-> RW \
P10 <-> RS \
P11 <-> DB4 --- HD44780 ( 2x16 ) LCD DISPLAY
P12 <-> DB5 /
P13 <-> DB6 /
P14 <-> DB7 /

This simple project is just a clock that utilises the RTC and LCD on the Stampworks kit and a few buttons, to be a more-or-less functional clock.

Operation:

The momentary contact 0 button is the mode button. This cycles between changing the minutes to the hours to the day to the date to the month to year. The currently selected value will blink appoximately 10 times per second, indicating it is the currently selected field. The momentary contact 1 and 2 buttons operate on the value currently selected by the mode button to increase or decrease the value within the valid range. The time continues to be displayed, and updated in the background. Changing the minutes value will reset the seconds value to zero, allowing a more precise reset operation.

This mini-project was intended just as a fun exercise to bring together the first few things I have learned about the Basic Stamp. I hope someone else can find the code useful.

Steve

Comments

• neotericneoteric Posts: 144
    edited 2006-02-10 16:08
    Thanks for posting your work!· I was just messing with the same·type of ·project....· I learned a few things from your approach!

I appreciate that you shared.
  • BullwinkleBullwinkle Posts: 101
    edited 2006-02-10 22:43
    Oops ... just noticed a mistake in my wiring instructions

The last 4 pins of the LCD should be wired so:

P12 <-> DB4 --- HD44780 ( 2x16 ) LCD DISPLAY
    P13 <-> DB5 /
    P14 <-> DB6 /
    P15 <-> DB7 /

Sorry about that.