Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HB-25 motor controller — Parallax Forums

HB-25 motor controller

SAMMYSAMMY Posts: 9
edited 2006-02-09 05:01 in Robotics
skull.gif· can anyone tell me if the new"future release" HB-25 motor controller can control 2 motors with a single unit or would you need additional unitsskull.gif

Comments

• John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-02-08 22:15
    Per the docs, available on the item page (or direct at http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/motors/HB-25MotorController-V1.11.pdf):

Mode 1 is Single Mode, where only one HB-25 is present on the microcontroller I/O line. In this mode, the HB-25 can be controlled with as little as a single pulse from your microcontroller.
    Mode 2 is dual-mode, which is used when connecting a second HB-25 to a first HB-25, rather than connecting directly to the microcontroller. This powerful feature allows two HB-25’s to be independently controlled through the same I/O line, saving I/O pins.

Meaning (when combined with·other parts of the doc)·that you need one controller for each motor, but that you can use one pin from a stamp to control both controllers.
    More directly, you need one unit for each motor (assuming you are not trying to connect the two motors in parallel).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-09 01:42
    If you are trying to connect two motors in Parallel you can, as long as the combined stall current does not exceed the limits of the controller.· I ran two hefty 12V motors off one controller in testing and was only able to get a little over 5 amps because I couldn't stall the motor on my desk.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-02-09 03:06
    Chris: Did that silly little idea of keeping all your digits get in the way again? Counting in base six isn't all that terriblesmile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-09 05:01
    Well, considering one of the motors had a weird (sharp) sprocket on it I wasn't pushing my luck!· I can testify that these Motor Controllers are AWESOME!· I will soon be posting the first application of the HB-25 to the Projects Forum.· In the mean time, be patient!· =)· They're worth waiting for.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com