Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
eb500 bluetooth — Parallax Forums

eb500 bluetooth

StarteR2StarteR2 Posts: 27
edited 2006-01-29 05:12 in Robotics
Okay guys so i succeded many test with the eb5oo and hyoer terminal. Now a huge problem, i cant get basic stamp to send via bluetooth to the bot
a program? Like when i established secure conection between bluetooth(laptop) and eb500 it assigned port COM6 outgoing and COM7 incoming. I placed both in basic stamp and neither work. If its possible i want a method to be able to throw away the srial cable.

Adrian

Comments

• edited 2006-01-27 20:13
    ok, one thing you need to make sure is that they are connecting to eachother, have you setup the bluetooth to allow communications from your computer? The nice thing about bluetooth is that you can keep it a bit more secure then normal wireless because of all the builtin security on how they discover one another. But that is also got a downside, figuring out your first time now to get them to talk to eachother. The eb500 manual goes from start to finish on how to get them both to discover one another and then talk to eachother. Hope that helped some.
  • StarteR2StarteR2 Posts: 27
    edited 2006-01-27 22:28
    Okay, i asked you what to do about basic stamp. In the book it doesnt say how do i send a program on basic stamp via bluetooth. Can u tell how to do that?
  • edited 2006-01-27 23:25
    Im not sure if im understanding you, do you mean a program as in executable program or message. If you mean for how to send a message its the same as the serial, you use serout.
    edited 2006-01-28 03:59
    Okay. When u· place a program on the boe bot usually what u do i write the code, plug in the serial cable and press the play/run button. It uploads and the bot start doing it right? How do i do the exact thing but by not pluging in the serial capble? How do i send the robot a program that he has to execute from now on?
  • edited 2006-01-28 04:57
    ohh i see what you mean, I heard there was a way to do it through the eb500 (I could be wrong on that) but I personaly have never tried to program the basic stamp 2 through wireless.
    edited 2006-01-28 13:41
    any reference?
  • RJ SimpsonRJ Simpson Posts: 2
    edited 2006-01-29 00:51
    When you press play on the program editor it sends the program to the basic stamp through the sout, sin, atn, vss, pins located on the stamp. If you have the eb500 plugged into the expansion port on one of the boards of education, i do not think it is possible to program the pic. You can send and recieve serial information over any of the i/o pins, however i believe you can only program through the Sout, Sin, ATN, Vss pins. If you wanted to program through your eb500 you would need to connect the Tx of the eb500 to the Sin on the bs2, and the RX of the eb500 to the Sout on the bs2, and so on. Or you could purchase a different bluetooth chip and remove the serial port from the board and solder in a board you design to fit the connections where the serial adapter used to go. I could be wrong about the whole thing though, there may be a way to program through the i/o ports. A good book that taught me about the basic stamp was "Stamp 2, Communications and control projects" by Tom Petruzzellis. Lots of neat little projects using generic ic's you an buy. Hope this helps

Post Edited (RJ Simpson) : 1/29/2006 12:54:57 AM GMT
  • RJ SimpsonRJ Simpson Posts: 2
    edited 2006-01-29 01:09
    page 131 of the manual shows the pinout of your eb500
  • edited 2006-01-29 04:21
    Hmm I have programed my basic stamp 2 so far with the eb500 plugged in no problem myself so far. I just ever havnt used it to program the stamp itself with, and cannot unfortunetly remember where I saw about programing the stamp wirelessly with bluetooth.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-01-29 05:12
    Have you checked the following link?

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30076

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com