Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Communicating remotely with my BoeBot, IR Buddy? — Parallax Forums

Communicating remotely with my BoeBot, IR Buddy?

Shaitan00Shaitan00 Posts: 16
edited 2006-01-09 23:23 in Robotics
Guys, I had a quick question - I am still in the beginner/learning phase of my Boe-Bot and I needed to confirm that the components I got are what I need... Specifically I was given the "IR BUDDY KIT" for XMAS and after reading the details I am not 100% sure this is what I was expecting.

I wanted a way to communicate with my BOE-BOT remotely, ideally it would be from my PC to the Boe-Bot so I could send it commands (I was going to write a little C++ application to send the information from my PC to the BoeBot IR) - can the "IR BUDDY KIT" accomplish this or would it be something else? For example - I think my LAPTOP has an IR "thing" on it (my PC is probably to knew for that; probably need to buy the component IF I am unable to use the 2nd IR Transmitter/Receiver) so I wanted to use it to communicate with my BoeBot remotely (or something similar).

That raises one final question - why do we get TWO IR Buddy Communication Modules? I know one goes on my BoeBot but where am I supposed to put the other one? Can I somehow connect it to my PC? Or is it solely meant for another BoeBot?

I hope I my questions are kind of "clear"... basically I just want to be able to remotely (wireless) communicate between my BoeBot and PC so I can (after creating the adequate application) tell it to "move left", "move right", "stop", etc.... Can the IR BUDDY KIT do this or did I get the wrong component for the job? Because after reading the doc's it seems the IR BUDDY KIT is more for communication between two BOEBOTs or with the special Remote Control (that you need to buy separately)

So, if anyone is able to confirm if I did get the correct component for remote communication (for example, controlling my BoeBot movements from my PC) or if I should be using something else?
Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-01-08 19:31
    The IR-Buddy kit is pretty cool, actually. What it does is send and accept the Phillips RC-5 'Remote' protocol, and convert that into SERIN/SEROUT (5-volt RS-232 signals) for an attached BS2.

So, you can purchase a $10.00 Universal Remote from Radio Shack, set it for the RC-5 protocol, and send key-presses to your BOEBOT. Or, one BOEBOT can use its IR-Buddy to send 'keypress' data to another IR-Buddy on another BOEBOT. Or, you could write a simple BS2 program for the BS2 to take data from the PC and send it via the IR-Buddy to a roving BOEBOT.

Any 'built-in' IR system on a PC probably won't interface with the IR-Buddy, unless the PC IR system was intended to be a universal remote.
  • Shaitan00Shaitan00 Posts: 16
    edited 2006-01-09 04:57
    If the built-in IR·in my Laptop wouldn't be compatible (which makes sense, seeing as I doubt it is universal) how would I·then be able to comminucate with my BoeBot (via it's IR Buddy) from my PC?

Is there a way to use the second IR Buddy and somehow attach it to my PC so I can use it to send/recieve the data (and then just write a BS2 program or something to send the commands I want from my PC)? Or do I need to buy somekind of "universial IR" component specifically for my PC, etc...?

Thanks for the help and info.
    edited 2006-01-09 22:08
    Hmm. In theory, you could mount your IR-Buddy in a Radio-Shack breadboard. Then, you need a MAX232 with some capacitors, or a MAX233 chip, to convert your PC's +-10 volts to the TTL 0 to 5 volts the IR-Buddy uses. Then, you'll need a +5 volt supply to power the IR-Buddy. Note over at Kronos Robotics (www.kronosrobotics.com) they have a small kit for a power module for the +5 on a breadboard, and another small kit for the MAX232.

Then, you could program VB or whatever to send the same serial strings to the IR-Buddy that the BS2 does. Oh, and you'll need a serial cable with a DB-9 wired correctly to send data to the IR-Buddy. The Kronos kit has a DB-9 socket already attached.

It might be easier just to purchase a second BOE board with BS2 and breadboard area.
  • Shaitan00Shaitan00 Posts: 16
    edited 2006-01-09 22:47
    So, in essense, I could just order another BOE with BS2, connect it to my PC (via USB if I have the USB BOE), wire in my IR BUDDY and write code on my PC that could then send the required commands to my BoeBot?
    (because that does sound like the SIMPLEST method)

Would it be possible to write a program (vb or c++) that could send the required signals via the BOE/BS2 that will remain attached to my PC?
    ·
    edited 2006-01-09 23:23
    Yes, it would be completely possible to write a program in VB or C++ to talk to your BOE/BS2 that remains attached to your PC. That BOE/BS2 then talks to the 'remote' IR-Buddy.

You won't get high data through-put -- I think it's limited to like 300 baud over the IR-buddy link -- but it would work. I just don't want you to be dissappointed.

So, you talk from your PC to the BOE at 9600 baud, the BOE/BS2 talks to the IR-Buddy, the IR-Buddy talks to the OTHER IR-Buddy, that IR-Buddy talks to ITS BS2, and you're good to go. The link works in reverse, too, of course.

Note also the range of the IR-Buddy is pretty good for a remote, but it's line of sight in the same room. White walls 'bounce' the signal pretty good.

See the attached tutorial for a VB6 example.