Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Killed my HP printer — Parallax Forums

Killed my HP printer

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2005-12-29 01:32 in Robotics
Well I managed to drop my HP inkjet from the top of my computer to the floor.· Definitely terminal.· A tiny little tab that retains the slidding print head to motor belt was broken off - no more left and right.· Otherwise fine.

If anyone is interested in the cannabalized print head carrier, I saved that as Mr. Jon Williams has demonstrated that you can attach it to a BOE and get it to print messages as it rolled.

I believe you have to use the SX-28 to drive the printer head.· Mine takes the #27 ad #28 inkjet cartriges.·

It is yours for the cost of postage from here [noparse][[/noparse]Taiwan].

Is there any way to exploit the USB interface.· It has very odd voltages +15 and +34.

I just bought a Canon iP1000 because the HP·ink has been too expensive.· I may not be getting a better deal but someone else can share the exploitation.· Japan's economy has been flatter than the USAs.· I must say it makes a lot more noise.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-11-07 16:05
    The code we wrote at Parallax is for a specific print head, the HP5160x series.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-11-09 08:08
    I had a hunch that it was more complex than it appeared.
    I cannibalized the unit because there are no replacement parts here.

I thought the electronics might be of use, but there are only two tiny, complex boards.

About the only real benefit I gained from the disassembly is to see how they approach modern EMI problems {they have a sheet metal shield with cooling holes covering quite a bit of one board and an EMI shield on one larger electrolitic capacitor}.

From what I understand, Parallax sells a package that holds that head and is adapted to mount on the BOE. Over all that is a much easier way to go.

I certainly wouldn't recommend wrecking a perfectly good printer to do the reverse-engineering. As I mentioned above, the power supply is quite unusual and I don't see how it might fit into a battery operation.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 11/10/2005 3:43:57 PM GMT
  • HiTekGizmosHiTekGizmos Posts: 14
    edited 2005-12-29 01:32
    I thought he said it was an HP.

> I certainly wouldn't recommend wrecking a perfectly good printer to do the reverse-
    > engineering.