Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SSIR Detector / QTI Sensor — Parallax Forums

SSIR Detector / QTI Sensor

XNORXNOR Posts: 74
edited 2005-12-22 19:49 in Robotics
Greetings!

I would like to add some IR obstacle detectors to my BoeBot.

In the 2005 catalog there is the SSIR detector which sounds
like the right thing (SSIR Detector #28019), but it does not
seem to be available anymore on the web-site. sad.gif

I am wondering if the QTI line sensor (QTI Sensor #555-27401)
can be used instead? If so, how far is it's detection distance?
confused.gif

I don't want to use the individual IR parts (IR Transmitter
#350-00017, + Infrared Receiver #350-00014) because
they move around too much. (Once I have calibrated them,
and then accidently bump them, they have to be calibrated
again.)

Also, do you know when the "PING" Mounting Bracket
Kit (#570-28015 in the 2006 catalog) will be available?

Thanks! smile.gif

Post Edited (mprobo) : 12/19/2005 7:24:15 PM GMT

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-19 19:40
    Hello,

·· The SSIR is not currently available.· The QTI sensor is more suited to line following, having a more limited range.· What exactly are you trying to do?· A sensor could be recommended based on those requirements.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-12-19 20:00
    Mprobo - you are right that the SSIR had two great advantages over the individual components.· One was a secure mounting, the other was a more eloquent wiring solution that minimized the number of Stamp I/O pins.· The SSIR was quite simple in design.· You could easily build it yourself on a small prototype board (easily available at Radio Shack).· I have a nice Word document that gives you all you need to know about it (send me a private email and I can send it to you).
  • XNORXNOR Posts: 74
    edited 2005-12-20 16:17
    Steve Joblin said...
    Mprobo - you are right that the SSIR had two great advantages over the individual components. One was a secure mounting, the other was a more eloquent wiring solution that minimized the number of Stamp I/O pins. The SSIR was quite simple in design. You could easily build it yourself on a small prototype board (easily available at Radio Shack). I have a nice Word document that gives you all you need to know about it (send me a private email and I can send it to you).

Greetings Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think it might be helpful for you to send me your plans.
    My email is "mdprobo at yahoo dot com", but maybe you could attach the word doc
    to this forum in case other people are interested. wink.gif

Thanks!
    smile.gif
    edited 2005-12-20 16:22
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...
    Hello,

The SSIR is not currently available. The QTI sensor is more suited to line following, having a more limited range. What exactly are you trying to do? A sensor could be recommended based on those requirements.

Greetings Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about setting up my BoeBot
    so that I would have a PING sonar sensor pointing forward,
    and having one IR sensor pointing to the left, one to the right,
    and one to the back.

Thanks! smile.gif
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-20 16:37
    You can use the PING with the existing IR sensors on the BOE-Bot.· The PING will only use one additional I/O line, which is available on the BOE-Bot with the other sensors connected.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-12-21 14:17
    Mprobo - I wanted to attach the file, but you cannot upload files that use MIME type : application/msword. I have sent it to your e-mail.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-12-21 14:57
    Steve -

Out of nothing but sheer curiousity, did the dotNetBB software (the software which operates this Stamp Forum), or perhaps the server software issue a message to that effect?

If not, how did you come by the realization that "you cannot upload files that use MIME type : application/msword", as you noted above?

Thanks for the information.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2005-12-21 17:49
    I selected the "Post Reply" button under this post, typed my message, clicked on "Attachment Manager" under the textbox and tried to load it... that was the error message I got.
    edited 2005-12-21 22:33
    Steve Joblin said...
    I selected the "Post Reply" button under this post, typed my message, clicked on "Attachment Manager" under the textbox and tried to load it... that was the error message I got.
    Steve -

It sounds like you were trying to end your reply by using the attachment manager. That is not how to end a reply. You end a reply by using the SUBMIT button.

If that's not the case than I don't understand what "I tried to load it" means.

If, after you have entered a reply, you want to add an attachment to the message, you need to invoke the attachment manager. Then use the BROWSE feature to locate the EXISTING file on one of your hard drives. Once it is located, then you hit OPEN, and then UPLOAD, and the chosen file will be uploaded and added as an attachment.

I see no reason why MS-WORD documents aren't fine as attachments, but one must ask onesself, why not include that in the text, rather than as an upload? Usually uploaded files are not of a TEXT (as a genre) file type.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2005-12-21 22:39
    Bruce - try it for yourself... see if you can do it... I kno w how to post things in a forum... it might not allow Word docs or Excel (for that matter) to reduce the risk of spreading viruses, etc. If you can upload a word doc, please show me how! BTW, the Word doc did have imbedded pictures (you can see the pictures that mprobo posted in a test thread in the test forum.
    edited 2005-12-21 22:57
    Steve -

Now I see the problem which would have been a good deal easier to report if you'd responded to my original query that it was the dotNetBB software upload facility which is displaying the error message.

At this juncture, I'd bring the issue to Jim's attention, over in the "Support for Using this Forum area, not as a bug, but as a "How do I ..." question. He should be able to see in the upload facility error generation what WOULD have been acceptable and why the plain text (.DOC) file type is not acceptable. I didn't try plain .TXT but I'll bet that would have worked, since it's wholly not an executable file type.

I'd kind of doubt it has to do with spreading viruses, but who knows - stranger things have happened.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2005-12-22 15:50
    Bruce - sorry... I wasn't completely sure that it was a dotNetBB issue... I will log a question in the "Support for Using this Forum" forum.
    edited 2005-12-22 16:44
    Steve Joblin said...
    Mprobo - I wanted to attach the file, but you cannot upload files that use MIME type : application/msword. I have sent it to your e-mail.

Thanks for the e-mail Steve!

I converted the Word doc to a PDF file.
    I seems like the attachment upload allows PDF files. confused.gif

Thanks again!
    edited 2005-12-22 17:47
    Thanks... apparently you can only upload text, image, and pdf files. What is a good free PDF Converter program to download so I can create PDF's?
    edited 2005-12-22 19:49
    Steve Joblin said...
    Thanks... apparently you can only upload text, image, and pdf files. What is a good free PDF Converter program to download so I can create PDF's?

Greetings Steve,

this is the one I used:

PDF Online:

http://www.pdfonline.com/convert_pdf_2.asp