Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Serial Seven Segment Display (5 Digit) Controller (SSC) Via SX28 — Parallax Forums

Serial Seven Segment Display (5 Digit) Controller (SSC) Via SX28

aliniousalinious Posts: 51
edited 2005-11-16 03:49 in Robotics
The Serial Seven Segment Display (5 Digit) Controller (SSC) was designed so that a Stamper or SXer could quickly interface one or more seven segment displays to a BS2 (or another SX if they desire). A serial output from the BS2 (9600bps) is connected to the serial (9600bps) input (RB.0) of the SSC. This allows the BS2 to send decimal values to the SSC to be shown on the seven segment displays. This program is geared toward Common Cathode displays such as those found on Parallax's Proffessional Development Board. Also, this is the first version of the source code and, over-time, I will try to make improvements. The source code for the SSC (Ser_Svn_Seg_Cntrl_1_1.SXB) and a Test program for the BS2 (Test_SSC.BS2) are attached below. Questions, Comments, Ideas, Suggestions are encouraged. Feel free to email me (Ser_Svn_Seg_Cntrl_1_1.SXB contains my email address) or post on the forum because I enjoy feedback when it comes to designing/creating future projects, and I will respond as quickly as possible.

Thank you all and especially Parallax,

Alan Balich

I hope that you all enjoy my project and there are many more projects to come.

Post Edited (alinious) : 11/19/2005 5:06:00 PM GMT

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-11-13 15:24
    I did something like this too: http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol6/col/nv117.pdf

My goal was to make a device that was sort of like the MAX7219, but needed just one wire.

[noparse][[/noparse]Edit] I actually wrote that program over a year ago so it uses older SX/B syntax -- still, it's easy to update and shows how to receive serial data in an interrupt and multiplex an 8-digit LED display.[noparse][[/noparse]/Edit]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax

Post Edited (Jon Williams (Parallax)) : 11/13/2005 3:27:43 PM GMT
  • T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2005-11-13 16:52
    Alan,

I tried out your hardware / software on my PDB a day to two back. I like it !!

Good job!

Jon,

I would certainly like to try your program out too soon.

Thanks,

Timothy Gilmore
  • aliniousalinious Posts: 51
    edited 2005-11-14 16:32
    Jon,
    Thanks for the link to the N&V article because it has given me some ideas for new features/functionality I would like to add. I am already working on Version 1.1 which will decrease the use of SX program memory and make it more efficient/easier to follow. Also, I appreciate all the N&V articles you have written because it has helped me to write better code for the BS2 and now the SX. (I have downloaded all the current N&V articles, but I have only read through 62 out of 128 of them over the past months). Eventually, I will post better documentation on my website which will explain how I wrote the SSC software.

Timothy,
    I am happy that you liked the SSC program and I hope that it is understandable so far. As I mentioned to Jon above, I am working on an improved version because I realized that some of the code became repetitve.

Thanks for the feedback,
    Alan Balich
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2005-11-16 03:16
    Jon, in your N&V article, the lay out to controll the led displays. WOuld it possible to , instead of use serial in to get info from another source like the BS2, use it to detect the PWM from a model airplane reciever channel and then have leds light depending on that source?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-11-16 03:31
    altitudeap,
    Yeah use the PULSIN command, it's measurements are geared toward the 1-2 millisecond pulses generated for RC servos.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module" Now available from Parallax for only $28.95

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012

"SX-Video OSD module" Now available from Parallax for only·$49.95
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30015

Product web site: www.sxvm.com

Those that would give up freedom for security will have neither.
    ·
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2005-11-16 03:49
    what, if any of the code could i hack out then, all of the protocol stuff?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!