Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Nylon threaded rod? — Parallax Forums

Nylon threaded rod?

bulkheadbulkhead Posts: 405
edited 2005-11-10 22:42 in Robotics
Anyone know where I might find one? Any large chain store will work, or I can order online. It actually doesn't have to be nylon, just some material lighter than steel (or aluminum). Durability isn't an issue-it will be a low stress application. Thanks.

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-11-10 07:30
    bulkhead -

Check the McMaster-Carr website. I suspect they have something you can use.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-11-10 13:39
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-11-10 15:39
    I am not sure you will find plastic treaded in any real length [noparse][[/noparse]like 12 inches or more].

You might try buying aluminum or plastic tube. I see it here in art supply stores. You can easily purchase a screw tap that will thread the inner diameter to allow you to insert a brass or steel screw at the end.

You might buy carbon fiber tube and epoxy a thread on the ends for lighter weight. Model airplane suppliers provide carbon rod and tube.

If you are worried about the ends coming apart, you can wrap them with epoxy and fine brass or steel wire.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-11-10 19:07
    I think I remember smallparts having them in appreciable length, but to quote Thomas Dolby, my brain is like a sieve.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2005-11-10 20:23
    I spotted some 24" or so in a local hobby shop in the R/C airplane section. They have quite a bit of rod at Lowe's, but I don't remember seeing nylon...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
  • bulkheadbulkhead Posts: 405
    edited 2005-11-10 22:42
    Thanks for the quick replys-I found one perfect for me at www.smallparts.com (its great site, btw).