Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Boe-Bot with IR navigation and remotely controlled DigiCam — Parallax Forums

Boe-Bot with IR navigation and remotely controlled DigiCam

CeeterCeeter Posts: 4
edited 2005-10-27 14:46 in Robotics
Built using parts that I had laying around. Camera mount is made with two PCI covers from an old PC case and a 3.5" drive bay cover. Relay board mount is made from balsa and very light plywood, painted black. The camera is an old KB JamCam that was given to me and takes very bad pictures.

Boe-Bot and camera are controlled with an IR remote.

On the camera I removed the switch that controls the shutter and the two function buttons, then I soldered in the cables that go to the relays. Everything can be changed from the IR remote, picture resolution, flash, camera on/off, clear camera memory, timer. The camera is tilted with a servo mounted in the front, there was just enough room to squeeze it in there. I tried to modify this servo to be continuos rotation but I must have done something wrong. It works fine going clock-wise but when I try to reverse it it goes clock-wise very slow. I don't know what happened but it works for the application.

The camera and relays are powered be a 9.6V 1200mAh rechargeable battery pack mounted to the back of the Boe-Bot. It doesn't look very good but ti works great. I'm sure the code can be cleaned up but it works as is.

Overall the camera is a lot of fun, great at parties, drive it around the table taking pictures. Chicks dig it. tongue.gif

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-27 14:46
    Very nice!· Now you can write some code to make it just roam around and take pictures too!· People may think it's actually doing something intelligent!· =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com