Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
CMU camera from seatle robotics — Parallax Forums

CMU camera from seatle robotics

Mr. RobotoMr. Roboto Posts: 2
edited 2005-10-24 07:10 in Robotics
I have a student who wrote a program to take data from CMU camera 1 to a computer. We want to convert it to an IR camera. Has anyone done this?

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-10-24 06:29
    Mr. Roboto -

As far as I'm aware any CMOS based camera will respond equally well to IR as it will to visible light. Thus, no conversion is necessary.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • LarryLarry Posts: 212
    edited 2005-10-24 07:10
    Well, I see two problems with this approach.

1) the camera lens has an IR filter coating on it as it comes from Seattlerobotics, so you might need to·replace ·it one without the coating. That shouldn't be too hard, as·many ·security cameras have 12mm lenses without the coating. Seattlerobotics might have some for sale also. The first few cameras (not the parallax version)·came without the coating, and the company provided free exchanges, so they might have some of the old returns on hand. Write and ask.

2) The original CMUcam·firmware mostly works by· doing image processing ·on colors. I think that you will probably loose most of that, since you will see mostly grey scale images returned from an IR wavelength image. If you are clever, though, it might be possible to concentrate on image brightness using the CrYCb data return from the camera instead of RGB.

If you have the CMUcam2 version, the motion analysis would probably still work.

If you decide to try anyway, let us know how you make out.

Larry

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔