Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless command project — Parallax Forums

Wireless command project

gnomebotgnomebot Posts: 6
edited 2005-09-27 12:52 in Robotics
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but I've been doing robotics projects for a few years. I've done some BEAM and some remote control using an ft639 servo controller chip and JAVA. Unfortunately, my electronics knowledge is very lacking.

I'm currently trying to send commands from my PC to my bot.

I have purchased an RF trans and rec, here are the specs:

single channel RF data transmitter and receiver.

* Distance: 100M(330 feet)
* Type: RF radio
* Carrier freq.[noparse]:([/noparse]315MHz)
* Max data rate: 10KHz
* Power supply: 5V~6V
* Encoder/Decoder: No
* Output type: Square wave
* Size: 20mmx 18mm x 5mm (Tx)
* Size: 30mm x 20mm x 5mm (Rx)

My question is: do I need to set up an ocillator circuit on either end, or can I just send serial data from my pc and expect it to come out the other end and have my BS2sx serin be able to read the data?

Ultimately, I would like to be able to remotely control the bot from a JAVA app over the net. I already have working solution for [noparse][[/noparse]PC] to [noparse][[/noparse]internet] to [noparse][[/noparse]PC] to [noparse][[/noparse]serial data out].

Thanks for time,

Sean

Comments

• edited 2005-09-23 18:31
    A link to the product page for the RF devices you are using would help. That way, we can download the manual and try to figure it out.

As an aside, here's a link to an RC scheme that uses the Memsic MX 2125 accelerometer to radio-control a Boe-Bot with tilt:

A Tilt Radio Controller for Your Boe-Bot
  • mmmm Posts: 56
    edited 2005-09-24 02:42
    http://www.rentron.com/Stamp_RF.htm

Check the link above also it has excellent tutorial on using the basic stamp to send serial data over RF, even though the max baud and frequency are different than your devices, the code should be useable.

I have found it's best to start simple, write some simple RF tx to RF rx code and try sending simple data at first to confirm the devices operate the way you want then once the RF link is working you can expand on this by integrating into an existing program. Also if you don't get the results your looking for such as poor range you can lower the baud rate and increase your range by almost 50%. Also don't hesitate to play with inverting the baud rate on one end, either the transmit or receive end, if you find that you aren't receiving any data at all.
  • gnomebotgnomebot Posts: 6
    edited 2005-09-27 12:52
    Thanks Guys,

Some cool projects!

If I could get a datasheet from the seller, I'd post them.. Now that the auction is over, perhaps I'll get the datasheet with the tx & rx..

So far, everything looks very similar to the stamp rf project url that mm posted.

One of my concerns now, after having read the manual some more, is that I want to send serial data from my PC to the tx and have the rx input to the bs2sx.

Are there going to be problems with the PC's serial data vs. the Stamp's serial ports, ie. PC's +12v / -12v RS-232 vs Stamp's 0v / +5v serin?

Thanks guys,

Sean