Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless Information/Program transfer from PC to BoeBot/Basic Stamp — Parallax Forums

Wireless Information/Program transfer from PC to BoeBot/Basic Stamp

Rusty78Rusty78 Posts: 33
edited 2005-07-08 14:50 in Robotics
Hello,
········ I would like to know if there exists any module that would allow the wireless download of programs to the basic stamp from a PC. What I'm looking for is to simply replace my standard USB A to mini B cable with a wireless connection. At the very least...is there any module which will allow me to transfer data wirelessly from my BoeBot to my PC?·Any info would be·greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly for your time

Cheers,

R.K.···

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-06-13 19:19
    There is a standard that is coming out on the market called wireless USB (wUSB), I have not analyzed wUSB other than knowing it is a point to point protocol (no mesh networks permitted), so I do not know if they use the USB moniker because it will be a drop in wireless replacement for USB or they thought they would sell more if it had the USB name.
  • Rick KRick K Posts: 18
    edited 2005-06-13 19:46
    Did you look at the app-mod for Bluetooth? I don't know about program downloads, but for wireless PC-BOE communication, this will plug into a header on your BOE.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30068
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-06-13 20:26
    Check out Flexipanel at www.flexipanel.com and look up the LinkMatik Stamp Edition.· I believe this will work for your application.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    [noparse][[/noparse]url]Http://www.parallax.com[noparse][[/noparse]/url]

·
  • Rick KRick K Posts: 18
    edited 2005-06-13 20:43
    OK, now I'm interested. I was looking to add bluetooth communication to my app once I've got it working in a tethered config.

What was it about the question above that caused you to recommend flexipanel as opposed to the Parallax bluetooth appmod?

Thanks
  • Rusty78Rusty78 Posts: 33
    edited 2005-06-13 20:46
    Wow Guys...thanks for all the suggestions...keep em coming!

Rick, I think Dave suggested the Flexipanel due to its ability to wirelessly program the basic stamp..I dont think the Parallax Bluetooth appmod can do that.

Will the Flexipanel be able to exchange data·( PC-BOE ) like the Bluetooth appmod?

Cheers!
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-06-13 20:49
    The eb500 is used for communication, such as serin/serout and the LinkMatik is used for programming.· I'm not sure regarding communication from the Boe-Bot?

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    [noparse][[/noparse]url]Http://www.parallax.com[noparse][[/noparse]/url]

·
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-06-16 21:23
    Rusty, you seem to be asking for two very different things here.

One is to be able to program your BS2 on your BOEBOT remotely.

The other is to be able to talk from your BS2 on your BOEBOT to your PC.

I'm not sure you can do both at the same time -- and which one you really want is not clear.
    edited 2005-06-17 14:16
    Hey

····· Well I honestly didn't think I was asking for 2 very different things here...what I am looking for is something to replace the USB A to mini B cable I currently use to communicate / program my Boebot. So, could I use the flexipanel to remotely program my robot and the blue tooth appmod for serin/serout communication? I was probably not clear as to what I meant by communication..but serin/serout would do the trick

Cheers!

R.K.
  • pcrobotpcrobot Posts: 103
    edited 2005-06-23 23:27
    Hello all,

I have a dumb question; is the FlexiPanel something you can put on the BOE and then be able to remotely program the BS2? The description on Parallax's site said something about "remote FlexiPanel operator interface" What is that? Could it be a PC (as the interface) with some sort of transmitter (via USB???) It would be great to not have to plug the BOE into the copmuter for every little change!

Thanks!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Robotics
    ro-bot-ics (noun)
    the science or technology of robots, their design, manufacture, application, use, etc.

Post Edited (pcrobot) : 6/23/2005 11:33:36 PM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-06-24 01:37
    Hello,

·· The LinkMatik SE from www.flexipanel.com can program the Stamp wirelessly.· Please see their website for details.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-06-24 04:23
    PROGRAMMING the stamp vs. COMMUNICATING with the stamp (wirelessly) are indeed two very different animals. To program the stamp you need to emulate wireless RS232 or USB - to communicate you simply need the ability to send a signal to the computer (how you get it to the PC at that point doen't necessarily need to be the same device that is providing the wireless communication -

Ryan
    edited 2005-06-24 04:31
    ·· According to the information on the flexipanel site, the LinkMatic appears to Program and Communicate, however, I recommended contacting them for the full details.· It appears to work similar to our eb500 Bluetooth Transceiver, as in a wireless serial link, although I didn't read the page in great detail.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • pcrobotpcrobot Posts: 103
    edited 2005-06-24 13:34
    I found the LinkMatic Stamp Ed., but it was only on the "How To Buy" section of the site. There was no description or picture. confused.gif
    I'm going to e-mail FlexiPanel and ask for more info.
    But, it looks like you have to buy the FlexiPanel (to go on the BOE) and the LinkMatik SE (Stamp programmer) Programming Cable (to go on the computer???) idea.gif
    I let you all know what I find out...
    smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Robotics
    ro-bot-ics (noun)
    the science or technology of robots, their design, manufacture, application, use, etc.
    edited 2005-06-24 15:52
    Hello,

·· Try this link...· http://www.flexipanel.com/LinkMatikSE/index.htm·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • New1976New1976 Posts: 18
    edited 2005-07-01 01:27
    Hi All,

I'm currently searching the wireless devices which will be replaces the RS232 cable:

LinkMatik SE Product
    As i understand from the Flexipanel company, the product for the LinkMatik SE Product is basicllly used
    Stamp WFP.exe to program the Basic Stamp (BS2) ·by pressing the run button after written the BASIC code in the BASIC code editor V2.1

EmbeddedBlue Transceiver AppMod (Eb500)

If i chose this product, can i continue to write and program using BASIC code editor V2.1 without using other software

My requirements for selecting the right wireless devices

I just·need a Wireless device which basically·just to replace the RS232 cable. However there is not additional software involves cos i want to make it·as simple as possible. I'm currently create·a GUI in Visual Basic v6.0·which link to the Basic Stamp.

So in the GUi Visual Basic which few action buttons (e.g.Forward, backward, etc), the user is able to click the any icon they want for the robot to move.

So can this EmbeddedBlue Transceiver AppMod (Eb500) be able to suit my requirement?

Regards,

New1976

• KB3JJGKB3JJG Posts: 95
    edited 2005-07-01 18:51
    Here is a drop in replacement for the serial cable and is designed to work with the stamp

http://www.electrowave.com/products/stamper.shtml

·
  • Zhao WangZhao Wang Posts: 4
    edited 2005-07-01 20:28
    http://www.flexipanel.com/LinkMatikSE/index.htm said...
    Debug terminal in Stamp Wireless Programmer
    I'd assume that means it includes "pin 16/debugin" communication between the stamp and the linkmatik, so if that's what you use between your stamp and computer, this does what you want. And it's a lot cheaper than the Stamper.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    It's me.
    edited 2005-07-02 19:24
    Hey New1976,
    ·
    ······ I'm also looking into creating a GUI in VB6.0 I'm new to VB and not sure how communicating via the basic stamp works. Could you provide a bit of sample code or any resources on how to go about doing this?
    ·
    Cheers,
    ·
    R.K.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-07-02 20:14
    One more time:· Here's a simple VB6 and BS2 example.

See the Attachment.
  • sumeetsumeet Posts: 28
    edited 2005-07-08 08:59
    CASE : one BOE with RF transceiver connected to a PC and One BOEBOT with RF transceiver. How can we send commands for the BoeBot to execute from the PC.

One way is to Download a program to BStamp connected with PC and the boebot execute accordingly by communicating thru RF . But this makes the data fixed.

Is there any way out to send LIVE (REAL TIME )data or command to the BOE connected to the PC so that when sent thru RF the BOEBOT executes.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-07-08 11:20
    sumeet -

The Stamp on the BOE and the Stamp on the BOEBOT need to understand a shared, common "language" that you will have to develop. By "language" I mean a command set that will enable the BOE to command the BOEBOT to perform certain tasks. Below is a simplified command set, just as an example:

verb modifier one modifier two
    M(ove) direction amount or distance

Ex. M, F, 10; verbalized: move forward 10 units

T(urn) direction amount

Ex. T, R, 90; verbalized: Turn right 90 degrees

S(top) none none

Ex. S; verbalized: halt all action

P(ause) time units none

Ex. P, 1000; verbalized: pause for 1000 milliseconds (or some other unit of time)

You will need one command for each discrete action you want the BOEBOT to be able to take. It would probably be wise to send each command string more than once. If the first and second command transmissions are the same, then the command can be executed, otherwise a re-transmission is requested. The design and content of the "language" is wholly up to you, and there is no standard for such a control language that I know of.

I hope that gets you started.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • sumeetsumeet Posts: 28
    edited 2005-07-08 13:32
    - Bruce -

Nice explanation.......thanks...... this i'll implement in later stage.

Present problem is
    i want to send commands & receive datas from the boebot or controll it.

The BOE connected to PC with RF Transceiver
    We have to download the codes to the BStamp,, whatever we write in our coding that remain fixed. there is no way to instruct thru keyboard i.e. live communication / control in users hand.

It is difficult to obtain this from the basic stamp debugger. DEBUGIN command is there but wont serve much. Nor we can save the datas sent by the boebot to BOE.

Please suggest
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-07-08 14:50
    sumeet -

Again, I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but if I wanted to communicate between two Stamps, I'd use SEROUT and SERIN, with the baudmodes set the same. Once the data is read in with SERIN, you can do whatever you want to with it. I'd get the entire system working in totally wired mode (tether), and THEN as phase two add the wireless link.

DEBUGIN is usually used for small amounts of data and/or infrequent data transmissions. SERIN and SEROUT are far more robust commands with a greater number of user options.

I'm presuming your setup looks something like this:

Stamp on
    PC--wired link-->BOE Board--wired link<<--RF Transciever-->>

<<---wireless link---->>
    Stamp on
    <<--RF Transceiver-->>wired link---BOEBOT

Regards,

Bruce Bates