Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
unexpeced pop by a newb — Parallax Forums

unexpeced pop by a newb

einstiendumbnesseinstiendumbness Posts: 7
edited 2005-06-28 17:26 in Robotics
freaked.gif·I was testing a circuit on·the boe-bot·and I pulled·the ir detector back·to aim it ip·and i heard a sudden pop / explosion (no capacitor are invovled also no fire). I thought that I broke the BS2 but it was okay. Then I tested the ir detector and one "broke. The right side (place of the incident) was

not respounding to any thing while the left side is as good as new. when I switched the sensor same thing.·what is wrong?

Comments

• edited 2005-06-27 19:11
    Not really clear as to what happened.

Did you break one of the pins on the IR?

If you just heard a 'pop', then it might have been a static discharge from your fingers to the IR.

Regards,
    Michael G. Jessat
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-06-27 19:14
    You may have blown one of the BS2's I/O pins. Thus any IR-detector you connect to that pin will seem not to work. The good news is you have 16 I/O pins -- you should easily be able to wire to another one.
  • einstiendumbnesseinstiendumbness Posts: 7
    edited 2005-06-28 13:21
    I blown an I/O pin? WoW (not good, my mom is going to kill me). Is there any way i can fix it without buying a new one?

Post Edited (einstiendumbness) : 6/28/2005 1:50:57 PM GMT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-06-28 15:09
    Well, if you HAVE 'blown' an I/O pin, then that I/O pin will not properly indicate high or low. It happens. You can easily wire in another, not-blown I/O pin and use that one instead.

And no, there's no way to fix it -- but as I said, you can work around it so you don't have to replace the entire BS2 module.

And tell your mother that "The price of experience is equal to the amount of equipment ruined." It's possible to work with this stuff without breaking things -- the first principle is never do any wiring or moving of components with the power on. But no matter who you are, at some point you'll break something, it's part of learning. Really.

I'm a 20 year Electrical Engineer, who works for Nasa saying this. I've inadvertently destroyed a few things in my time. It happens.
  • mmmm Posts: 56
    edited 2005-06-28 15:39
    Tell your mom that Even if you need a new basic stamp that's nothing compared to my kids. New hockey skates, sticks equipment and Taekwon-do pads every year cost a lot more than 10 or 20 basic stamps.

You really should be using static dissipative tools when you're working with electronics , especially at home. Get yourself a nice static mat and handstrap for the next time you are working on your projects. Check out DIGI-KEY, section J under PROTOTYPING, TOOLS, SOLDER, TEST EQUIPMENT.

Mike
  • einstiendumbnesseinstiendumbness Posts: 7
    edited 2005-06-28 17:26
    Thank YOU very MUCHscool.gifyeah.gifburger.gifblush.gif

Post Edited (einstiendumbness) : 6/28/2005 5:34:49 PM GMT