Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Age old question -- One or Two batteries. — Parallax Forums

Age old question -- One or Two batteries.

edited 2005-06-25 13:31 in Robotics
Hello Folks!

I am wondering about the one or two battery method to power my current robotics project. I was looking for one battery EPIC 3000mAh 7.2VDC to drive my servos (HITEC HS-805BB), and a second battery for the electronics. I don't want to add more confusion than I already have regarding this project. I also really don't want to create an overweight problem at the same time. Can anyone provide me with what worked/didn't work for their particular applications? Thanks for all replies!!!

Respectfully,
Michael G. Jessat

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-06-24 21:41
    On the Hexcrawler we used a 9v transistor battery for the board and a Panasonic 7.2v 3000 ultra metal hydried NI-MH battery pack.· It runs great with this power set up.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    [noparse][[/noparse]url]Http://www.parallax.com[noparse][[/noparse]/url]

Post Edited (Dave Andreae (Parallax)) : 6/24/2005 10:13:49 PM GMT
  • edited 2005-06-24 22:07
    Dave,

Thanks for your reply, I was kind of leaning in the two battery direction. I'm trying to be careful with weight/load considerations. My last robotic project was grossly overweight, so heavy in fact, that it could barely move a few feet without problems (I won't discuss my first robotics project, it was a total FAILURE). It also placed a really high current demand on the single battery arrangement. So much so that it was causing the BS-II to brown-out and reset. I figured that this time around I'd be less frugal and allow for the extra volts/mAh. Thanks again for your input!

Respectfully,
    Michael G. Jessat
  • KenMKenM Posts: 657
    edited 2005-06-25 03:43
    Obvious to some, but not all.....

If you run two batteries and you are NOT using opto isolators on all I/O pins, you must tie together the grounds of the two batteries.

Ken
  • Tricky NekroTricky Nekro Posts: 218
    edited 2005-06-25 09:16
    Yes, but this is optional, rightcool.gif

How many motors (servos) do you use?

Provas

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rule your Destiny-
    --Be Good. Be Bad. Be Provas--
  • edited 2005-06-25 13:31
    Ken and Provas,

Thank you for your replies. I was aware of taking all grounds to a common point. But, its a good point to bring up, as many people just starting out don't realise this. I have read various postings that seem to indicate this fact. As far as servos are concerned, I am using two HITEC HS-805BB's for the main drive. These have been modified for full rotation with the electronics left intact. I am planning on running them on at least 7.2VDC with a 3000mAh NiMH battery pack. Hitec claims that these servos can take up to 8.4VDC, and will only become slightly warm to the touch. At 12VDC, the electronics become toast within minutes. I also am looking at a pan and tilt turret for my CMU camera. I am going to use two Hitec HS-425BB's (unmodified) for this. I'm planning on using the MINI SSC II to provide the servo's with the necessary pulses to drive them. That way the stamp would be free to do other things. I'm also looking to use at least two PING))) sensors, several IR distance detectors, CDS light detectors, and some form of edge detection sensors. Maybe a serial LCD display (Scott Edwards 2X16), since it could provide some debug information during testing, or possibly just use LED's to indicate what is happening. So, the current demands are going to be fairly high, that is why I am looking at using two instead of one battery. But, having said that, weight is a primary concern. I'm trying my hardest to keep it under 3 pounds, since my past projects have been grossly overweight. Was looking at maybe Li-Poly instead of NiMH, but they seem to have alot of potential for problems. From what I have read, Li-Poly can catch fire very easily if not closely monitored during the recharge cycle. Or if they are pushed too hard (high current demands) for any amount of time they can catch on fire. I certainly don't want another 'flaming' robotics project, yes, I've had one of those already. So, I'm still in the middle of the road with the battery issues.

Thanks for your replies!

Respectfully,
    Michael G. Jessat

Post Edited (Dobermann (Black Dog Systems, LLC)) : 6/25/2005 1:36:03 PM GMT