Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pbasic editor problem — Parallax Forums

Pbasic editor problem

nol1nol1 Posts: 19
edited 2005-06-13 04:17 in Robotics
Im having a very strange and annoying problem with my pbasic editor (V2.2) First of all it used to work fine, about a week ago- but then one day I went to use it and an error message pops up and then shuts the app down automatically. I did the classic windows uninstall, reinstall, reboot thing a couple times with no luck. Im running a win2k pro thinkpad w/512mb ram and 10g hd, p3 750 proc., so I don't think its a hardware limitation. I attached a screenshot of the two error messages that pop up right before the app shuts down. Any suggestions concerning this anomolly would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-06-06 14:45
    Are you able to try it on another computer?· This will help determine if it is the computer or your hardware.· I have never seen this error before.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • nol1nol1 Posts: 19
    edited 2005-06-06 16:35
    Good point Dave-
    Ill give that a try. It is strange though that it was working fine for a good time before this occured. All of my other apps and hardware things are working as usual too.
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-06-06 16:39
    Make sure that if it has an infrared port or a PDA that you disable each one including any "Hot Sync" buttons.·

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 751
    edited 2005-06-06 17:45
    Hi,

I have not seen this problem before either, however, I have a feeling it may be related to a BASIC Stamp editor registry setting getting corrupted.· The BASIC Stamp Editor rebuilds and replaces any and all of it's registry settings should one or more be removed from the registry, so we may be able to fix the problem by doing the following:

(PLEASE NOTE:· Do NOT attempt this if you are unfamiliar with changing registry settings, using Regedit, etc.· Parallax, Inc. recommends that anyone·without prior experience with the Windows Registry contact an experienced computer technician to perform the task for them).

Now that all the legal warnings are out of the way...

1) Run the Registry Editor

··· Start -> Run, enter Regedit in the Open field and select the OK button.

2) Navigate to and expand the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ParallaxInc\Stamp" key

3) Locate the key (folder) that corresponds to the version of the Stamp Editor you are running·(2.2 in this case)

4) Select the 2.2 key (folder) and press the Delete key.· Click Yes on the "Confirm Key Delete" dialog box.

5) Close Regedit and run the Stamp Editor again.· Upon startup, the editor will see that all its registry entries are missing and it will rebuild them using the defaults.

If your problem is related to a corrupt key, this should fix the problem.

I have not seen this issue before, and the Stamp Editor handles the registry entries in a fairly robust way, but I cannot guarantee that it is absolutely resistant to this kind of problem.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • nol1nol1 Posts: 19
    edited 2005-06-13 04:17
    Thanks Jeff-
    Your solution worked perfectly.