Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RF controlled BoE-Bot — Parallax Forums

RF controlled BoE-Bot

ToddHToddH Posts: 34
edited 2005-05-26 13:29 in Robotics
Greetings - beginner here

I've built and tested my BoE-Bot. No issues.

I've attached a 2-servo pan-and-tilt wireless camera to a 2nd deck on the BoE-Bot. No issues.

I bought the Remote kit and can now drive my BoE-Bot and operate my pan-and-tilt camera with an IR remote control. No issues

Now....

I would like to replace the IR remote/sensor and use RF - like a remote control car would. I'm trying to make it so I don't need line of sight to operation the bot. It's been fun watching my Bot video feed on my laptop as I drive the Bot around. But...I would love to be able to drive the bot into, say... the office next to me and not have to follow it with the IR remote control.

What is the cheapest way of doing this? (limited budget)... I would LOVE to be able to use a playstation or xbox wireless controller to control the robot. I just have no idea what I would need to attach to my BoE-Bot and then the pbasic to make the two talk.

Thanks for any advice!

Post Edited (ToddH) : 5/26/2005 12:18:06 AM GMT

Comments

• edited 2005-05-26 00:36
    Jon Williams did a Nuts & Volts article on interfacing a PS2 controller to the BASIC Stamp. Pretty cool...· It's called PlayStation Control Redux, and it's part of Nuts & Volts of BASIC Stamps Volume 4.· The article is available for download, just follow the Nuts & Volts Vol. #4 Archive Downloads·link.

There's also an activity in the Stamps in Class forum called A Tilt Radio Controller for Your Boe-Bot.· It'll probably have some ideas and techniques that will be useful·for your project.

Post Edited (Andy Lindsay (Parallax)) : 5/26/2005 12:51:40 AM GMT
  • ToddHToddH Posts: 34
    edited 2005-05-26 01:11
    Awesome - thanks for the articles. I'll give them a try.

Todd
  • pcrobotpcrobot Posts: 103
    edited 2005-05-26 12:36
    Hello,
    You might also want to look at the latest – June 2005 - issue of SERVO Magazine, in the “Ask Mr. Roboto” (by: Pete Miles) section. Someone had written in and asked how to control the BOE-Bot with a Futaba RC system. “Mr. Roboto” gave instructions, a pic, and a schematic. This might be what you’re looking for, I don’t know. I’m going to try it…
    SERVO Magazine: http://www.servomagazine.com/
    pcrobot cool.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Robotics
    ro-bot-ics (noun)
    the science or technology of robots, their design, manufacture, application, use, etc.
  • pcrobotpcrobot Posts: 103
    edited 2005-05-26 12:57
    I do have a question… The PlayStation controller featured in “PlayStation Control Redux”, is it PS2, or just PS, or does it really matter? I just skimmed the article quickly, and I did not see if he specified or not. confused.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Robotics
    ro-bot-ics (noun)
    the science or technology of robots, their design, manufacture, application, use, etc.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-05-26 13:29
    For the article I used a PS2 controller -- you can get them at game stores all over the place. Do note that some "compatible" controllers don't work as advertized; at least not witht he code I wrote (which was originated by a young guy named Aaron).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax