Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
wth is Vex? — Parallax Forums

wth is Vex?

bishopbishop Posts: 82
edited 2005-04-20 19:41 in Robotics
o.k. so i went to radio shack this weekend to pick up some Smile for the bots and after the typical 20 minute sales molesting I typically receive, the guy (salesman) finds out I'm building bots.· He then shifts his sales gear into a seriously low gear ratio and starts sputtering about Vex robotics new starter kit that they're going to be putting out next month.· And I'm standing there looking up at a BoeBot kit on the shelf already and thinking?· Why do you need another starter kit, when you're sitting on top of one already?
So the guy tells me the whole spiel about the thing (including the $300 price tag, which almost made me soil myself) and so i'm trying to break the corporate sales loop that he's caught in, long enough to tell him that I'm not really into "starter kits" anymore and that $300 is a bit steep for something that is supposed to be introductory and competing with Parallax's BoeBot; an already established product.· But his retail mind couldn't get around the concept that I wasnt interested and that I REALLY didn't want to pre-order one.· geez.· I hate going into radio shack for that very reason.· I just wanna buy my resistors, caps and wire and go the hell home.· No, I dont need batteries and I'm good on cell phone service.· I think we shoulda just sent Radio shack employees to Iraq.· They wouldnt have to even carry guns.· Just batteries and a 6% commission.· But I know that Parallax does business with R.S. and so the opinions expressed in this post are my own and Parallax is in no way associated nor responsible for my rambling.
Now the point I was getting to, who is Vex robotics?· And will Parallax be pulling the kits out of Radio Shack now?
Just curious...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

daniel woolston
Teksystems Inc.
www.danwoolston.com

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-03-21 04:11
    I agree, the site for the bot is quite disappointing. This leads me to believe they are either terribly behind schedule or thier customer support is seriously lacking. While it might be true they are trying to breed anticipation, the fact that Ive never heard of the thing, nor does a search engine even report any relavant links that I can find makes me doubt this.

Bishop: I never experience any problems with RS staff, though the first thing I do is head to the component section. It is my experience if you loiter near the front of the store, the staff sees you as a mark, but if you bee-line to a section they tend to leave you alone beyond the "Is there anything I can help you find" question (I typically respond with a question they absolutely cannot answer and they flee after mumbling thier lack of a answer). They figure you know exactly what you want and thier time is better spent on someone who looks clueless. You can then circle back to the other things you were originally interested in and they will show deference to you because your someone in the "know". They are almost always someone with no college experience or an AA at the most, and don't know much beyond thier sales training and personal consumer electronics experienece.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 82
    edited 2005-03-21 15:27
    Paul: that is so true! Generally I do head straight for the back, but sometimes they trick me by actually carrying something cool at the front. But yeah, I've noticed that most of the time if you act in a hurry and in my case, I usually have a post-it with a list of stuff I need in my hand, that they'll generally leave me alone. The last molesting I received was a result of him having a younger girl working with him and he was gonna impress her with his elite salesmanship. I wish there was a decent electronics store closer to my house, but radio shack is so convenient cause it is literally down the road from my house.
    and the vexrobotics.com is so generic. the only thing they have is a cheesy frontpage and some vague data. I noticed that they're 'affiliated' with the First competition. Not sure what thats going to do for them, cause I still come back to the $300 price tag.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

daniel woolston
    Teksystems Inc.
    www.danwoolston.com
  • ecourtecourt Posts: 13
    edited 2005-03-21 15:44
    You are lucky, RS still exists in your country.
    In Belgium, we had a lot of RS shops, in fact too much, and it was impossible for hem to make enough money for living.
    Now, they shut everithing and I have to drive 30Km to buy a resistor.
    Regards
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-03-21 15:56
    Hmm. The annoying web-site (www.vexrobotics.com) has 4 flash pages that have a 'count-down' timer to the 'FIRST' robotics competition in Atlanta April 21, using the VEX robots. And you can 'win' a VEX starter system ($299 value) for your class.

However, since there is no source for the 'VEX' starter system, it looks like this is one of those "hit-and-run" competitions, where you can't prepare before the competition. That can't be right, actually, so I'll try to find more.

The description for "VEX" seems to match the description for LEGO Mindstorms, by the way, except VEX has an additional motor. And Mindstorms costs $200 instead of $300. Not that the two systems have anything in common, that we can tell at this point.
    edited 2005-03-21 16:06
    http://www.usfirst.org/Vex/Vex_Invite.htm -- This is the 'home' website of the FIRST challenge, and gives a little more detail on what's going on. Apparently March 22, 2005 is the 'kick-off' day. The April competition will be done with 'pre-release' versions of the kit. They want people to sign up, and will be giving each team 4 VEX sets.

Radio Shack is a sponsor, so I assume your salesman was jumping the gun a little, having just been given an over-view presentation of what Radio Shack will be trying to sell. Unfortunately he didn't get the message that it's not in the stores yet. I agree with you it's annoying when people try to sell you something they don't actually have yet. "Vaporware" that used to be called.

However, it's nice to see all of this at the very beginning, so to speak.
    edited 2005-03-21 17:16
    i was a little concerned that this might eat into the parallax market, but at $300, probably not.
    i think it'll be the same deal that the tandy computers were...they'll get them in, get all excited about it and then nobody will buy them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

daniel woolston
    Teksystems Inc.
    www.danwoolston.com
    edited 2005-03-21 19:43
    I've looked at the FIRST site, and MAN those are big robots! 12 Volt sealed led acid 18 Amp-Hour battery. 4 motors per wheel. 120 pound upper limit on weight, NOT including the battery.

Of course, these are designed for college students. Now, the VEX robots (which I still haven't seen) seem designed for junior and senior high use. And there IS a "First Lego League" (FLL) which uses Mindstorms.

I would think Parallax could give Mindstorms a run for the money. The BOEBot is slightly cheaper, certainly MUCH more of a 'robot' (Mindstorms are all LEGO block based. Neat, but plastic LEGO blocks don't scale up very well.· Oh, and the 'Brick' processor only has 3 sensor inputs, and 3 motor outputs), has more sensors, and more I/O.

So, the 'VEX' robots are being "tried-out" by the FIRST competition to fill a niche between the Lego bots and the full FIRST bots. Neat idea, we'll soon see what comes of it.

Post Edited (allanlane5) : 3/21/2005 7:46:09 PM GMT
    edited 2005-03-23 18:15
    omfg---
    wait till you see this piece of Smile that radio shack is rolling out:

these are images of the 'vex' system:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1777981,00.asp
    for $300?
    wow.
    good luck with that.

i love how the battery is secured with a bread tie.
    tongue.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

daniel woolston
    Teksystems Inc.
    www.danwoolston.com
    edited 2005-03-23 18:24
    Can we say "remote controlled erector set" boys and girls? And to think it will only cost you $900 to build this one: http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,2393,l=148177&s=25696&a=148172&po=5,00.asp

Its sad to see Dean Kamen still has a "build it and they will buy it" mentality. You'd think after loosing so much money on the Segway, he would have learned (When's the last time you saw someone on one of those? A guy got onto the subway here once with one of those, acting all proud of himself. The entire carfull of people laughed at him and a couple people blurted out "You spent 5000 on that?", I saw him a couple weeks later, and he was walking tongue.gif, in retrospect I feel sorry for the guy since I can see myself doing something similar. (Ive had a few musclebound guys laugh at me for driving a Mini, but overall reaction is positive, besides I love that car and don't care what others think))

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 3/23/2005 6:50:13 PM GMT
    edited 2005-03-23 18:57
    Oh i just noted this statement "Later this year, the electronics retailer will follow up with programming modules and sensors for increased autonomy." So if you want a bot that can actually think, it'll cost extra.
    edited 2005-03-23 19:00
    Well, at least this explains why there's no pictures of the actual 'system' on the site.

I sure hope the production version is not quite so cheesy. Maybe this is an opportunity for Parallax to produce more robot 'brains'!
    edited 2005-03-23 19:15
    i think its pretty tacky of radio shack to kinda refer to it as the saviour of hobby robotics, when they've been selling parallax products for a while. i dont see this product as being an answer to anything. anybody wanting to get into robotics at a DIY level should see this as Smile. overpriced and just dumb looking. can you imagine having this thing crawling around on the floor and trying to convince your friends that the erector set with motors on it is an actual robot?
    and yeah allan...you're right, Parallax could jump all over this.
    The new parallax slogan after this erector-vomit rolls out should be:
    "Is spending $300 for a starter kit leaving you Vexxed? Why not try the BoeBot kit at half the price!"

[noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

daniel woolston
    Teksystems Inc.
    www.danwoolston.com
    edited 2005-03-23 19:51
    Oh, don't blame Radio Shack, they aren't the manufacturer, after all. At least, I hope they aren't.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-03-23 21:39
    So....

That is the sadest robot kit I've ever seen...
    They've basically takne a 6channel RC set and an Erector-set rip-off and bundled it together?

No wonder they don't even list all the components...
    There's no mention of what kind of motors are used for propulsion.
    (I bet it's ordinary DC motors as used in cheap RC cars)

They suggest BENDING the metal pieces, which will mean that after you've used them once, they will no longer be perfectly straight no matter how carefully you try to straighten them, so subsequent builds will be less and less accurate.

My guess is that the designer had a small accident on his Segway...
    (Didn't they have a problem with tipping over when the batteries were low?)
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-03-23 21:55
    That thing is so damn cheezzzy.... and for the BENDING of your kit...what the heck....

The sad thing is that some people will buy this thinking it's a great kit (because you know, it *has* to be good, it cost $300.00!)

Ryan
  • Robert SchwartzRobert Schwartz Posts: 141
    edited 2005-03-23 22:14
    Looks like a poorly desgned battle-bot after it lost a match and was scrapped. Looks bad, and doesn't run quite straight. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I definately love how you spend $300 just to twisty tie on the battery pack. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • gelfling6gelfling6 Posts: 60
    edited 2005-04-06 23:55
    Robert Schwartz said...
    Looks like a poorly desgned battle-bot after it lost a match and was scrapped. Looks bad, and doesn't run quite straight. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I definately love how you spend $300 just to twisty tie on the battery pack. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Now, Now! Let's not pick on the twist-tie! Not that I'm defending the VEX, but the basis is that
    of a robot built by children, (mostly High School) and using whatever they can lay their hands on..
    So, Someone couldn't find the propper battery straps, and one of the other students just happened
    to have his lunch bag sitting nearby, with a non-ziplock sandwhich bag, held closed by a,
    You guessed it, a twist tie!

Having attended the North-East regional F.I.R.S.T. robotics competition, You have to admit, these kids
    are pretty inventive on their designs, starting with just the bare metal items, (controllers, Motor speed
    controls, a mini compressor, hydraulic fittings, etc.) It was up to the kids, their teachers, and their mentors
    to assemble, and program their own robot, for the task put to them by F.I.R.S.T., and believe me, some
    of the designs these kids made, were pretty outrageous! Even the kids I gave a lift to, (team 1124, the
    U'Ber-Bots, (Avon High School, Connecticut, USA), theirs looked like a mobile crane, and it did its job!

I'm sure not defending the price! But, the 2ndary remote & reciever, for $129 USD, actually is fairly
    average. Concidering I just shelled out $150 for a Futuba FT4Y 4-channel remote & reciever for
    model aircraft. 2 more channels, for $30 less? Bargain! burger.gif

Remember folks, we probably said the same thing about the BS2, when it first came out, and we were
    still pounding away with the 4Mhz Z80, the 1Mhz 6502 (can you say SYM & KIM ), our first real microcontrollers
    like the 8031, 8041, etc..

I've been assaulted by RadioShaft's (no, that's not a typo) sales mongers. I've told a few off too,
    (No, I do not want to buy a Tandy-1000. I asked if you could look up the part number for the TRS-80
    Model 100 service manual! ) They are vultures! Plenty of answers to questions I haven't even asked!
    (and never intended to!)

But, let's see what the VEX develops into.. It's just starting out.. Let's see what it developes into, before we
    start trashing it.. Who knows? Maybe, the team with the winning edge, could be using a BS2 as a
    power-processor smilewinkgrin.gif

Stephen (gelfling6)
    edited 2005-04-07 01:03
    gelfling said...
    but the basis is that
    of a robot built by children
    exactly.
    which is why my primary issue isn't with what they're selling.· its the amount that they're selling it for.·
    But, let's see what the VEX develops into.. It's just starting out.. Let's see what it developes into, before we
    start trashing it.

Vex isnt the first to break into the 'starter' kit market.· there are other choices out there for cheaper.· as i'm sure you're already aware of, bots can typically be built much cheaper outside of 'kits'.· The quality of this kit doesnt scream $300 to me.· But hey...anybody is welcome to sell whatever they want.· If people dont think its a good value or that the quality of the product is Smile; they'll quit buying them and the company will suffer because of it (tandy puters for example.)
    my second beef with the kit, really isnt against vex or f.i.r.s.t. at all..its the fact that radio shack is pushing these over-priced erector sets as a revolutionary starter kit, when they're already stocking the boe-bot kit.
    but like you said...we'll see what it becomes.
    anything to get robots into the hands of kids is a positive idea.· i just wish their idea didnt run $300.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

daniel woolston
    Teksystems Inc.
    www.danwoolston.com
    edited 2005-04-11 23:10
    I agree totally, Dan! RadioShaft is always known for over-priced, low quality.. (trust me, i know this from needing to buy a replacement battery pack to fix my BOE-Bot.. Word of the wise, Never take-up the hobby of knitting chain maille
    (I do medieval re-enactments) and robotics at the same time.. My BOE-Bot rolled over in my car, onto a pile of knitted
    Euro-4-in-1 16-guage/5/16" I.D. maille, and shorted the 9V battery posts, taking with it, the 4-AA Cell pack, & the wire.
    the 1st pack, wired with the wins inside, so I tried to solder a new Coaxial & cable to outside.. MELTED again. 2nd,
    I conneced a replacement coaxial to the mounted wires.. Too short! had to remount battery pack = ways instead of ||...)

I might still look at their 2nd radio remote/receiver, for the BOE, IF it's compatible. (remember, we are dealing
    with Radioshaft, and if you remember their 1st MS-DOS computer, the Tandy-2000 was a BOMB.)

Stephen (gelfling6)
    edited 2005-04-12 00:20
    hehehehe...

do you realize how hilarious that sounds? "i shorted out my robot on my chain mail armor."

lmao...

sorry bout your bot tho...but it does make for a damn funny story tho...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

daniel woolston
    Teksystems Inc.
    www.danwoolston.com
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2005-04-12 15:20
    gelfling6,
    Shorting out your 'bot on your maille is wonderfully anachronistic...

(can't even afford a coif...sigh)

Where do you "play"?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-12 16:14
    ·· Quoting a fellow Tech here, "Goes to show that you can't mix current technology with technology from the dark ages..."

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-04-12 17:07
    hehehe

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

daniel woolston
    Teksystems Inc.
    www.danwoolston.com
    edited 2005-04-15 23:50
    Okay, Okay, i had that one coming.. I didn't have the heart, to tell one of my kindergarten passengers,
    who suggested making a suit of armor for the bots, what had happened..

For Tom's question, I usually spectate quite a few ren-faires up here in New England & NY.
    (The NY Reniassance faire in Tuxedo, NY., King Richards Faire in Carver, Mass. ,
    Connecticut Reniassance faire in Woodstock, Conn. , and I seem to have a full part
    in a mini faire held in Prospect, Conn.)

Well, how it happened, was quite innocent.. I had the BOE Bot sitting on a box on my car seat, and on the seat
    just below the box, was a sheet of maille I had knitted.. I took a left turn, and the BOE-Bot, rolled off the box, landing
    head-first on the rings.. I could smell something burning, but thought it was the car in front of me.. till I
    glanced right, to see smoke rising from the battery pack.. freaked.gifjumpin.gif

Glad to say, even though I had to mickey-mouse the new battery pack, the bot is just fine!

Though, a wee bit of blasphemy.. I lost one of the end caps from the IR LED tubes.. So...
    I went to radioshaft, and picked-up a pair of Panel mount LED Holders.. Now, the IR LEDs
    are chrome-plated, and really look like eyes!

Stephen (gelfling6)

Post Edited (gelfling6) : 4/15/2005 11:55:32 PM GMT
    edited 2005-04-16 02:58
    ooh..that sounds kewl... you got any pics of that?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

daniel woolston
    Teksystems Inc.
    www.danwoolston.com
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2005-04-18 17:50
    gelfling6,
    The last Faire I attended in that area was about 15 years ago just outside of Annapolis, Picked up a pretty dagger from Mastersmith Daniel Watson of Angel Sword. Now I can only get to the local ones in North and South Carolina and occasionally outside of Atlanta.
    Hail and well-met!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
    edited 2005-04-20 19:32
    Tom Walker said...
    gelfling6,
    The last Faire I attended in that area was about 15 years ago just outside of Annapolis, Picked up a pretty dagger from Mastersmith Daniel Watson of Angel Sword. Now I can only get to the local ones in North and South Carolina and occasionally outside of Atlanta.
    Hail and well-met!

Tom, Ah! Okay, Seen it listed on faires.com. I picked-up my 1st sword back 3 years ago at the faire in Prospect, CT., and I've
    had it ever since.. Nothing grand, just a short norman sword. Seemed to fit my costume best.
    quite a few up this direction (north-east USA) I haven't been to.. Usually just the 4 closest. (tuxedo, NY, Carver, MA.,
    Prospect & Woodstock, CT. )

Hazzah! and also well-met good sir! May our journeys cross again!

For Bishop, who asked for the picture, are we talking the new IR LED shields? or the smoked battery pack? lol.gif Got them
    both, just need to download them from the camera.

Stephen
    edited 2005-04-20 19:41
    I like attending the Maryland RenFaire. After years of faires in Florida which basically constitute shade tents and folding tables, going to a faire that is on a permanent and dedicated site with period inspired buildings under a full grown canopy of trees adds greatly to the atmosphere.