Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
VIN — Parallax Forums

VIN

NhoybNhoyb Posts: 9
edited 2005-04-14 03:09 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Can I use VIN with High and Low commands?

I have this 6V motor which doesnt run on regulated ps on boe bread board, but when connected directly to VIN and VSS to X1 it runs. I just want to run a motor using a High and Low command using 2 I/O for reverse and forward. Help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
My Soul Still Bruns!!

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-12 17:47
    Hello,

·· You cannot drive the motor directly from a·Stamp I/O pin.· You can use a transistor though.· Be sure to use a resistor between the base of the transistor and the Stamp I/O pin.· This subject has been covered several times in the last few days, so for details please see the other posts.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • edited 2005-04-14 02:04
    If it's a small DC motor, you can use Vin and Vss to run the motor. You will need at least a transistor and a diode to control it with the BASIC Stamp. Download the Industrial Control text from www.parallax.com -> Downloads -> Educational Curriculum. It has an example of running a DC fan in one of the chapters (parts, schematic, and PBASIC code included).

A word of caution, connecting a DC motor directly to a BASIC Stamp's I/O pins typically damages the BASIC Stamp. BASIC Stamp I/O pins are designed mainly for sending and receive signals, and cannot supply lots of power. Enough power to light up an LED with a 220 ohm resistor in series, yes.· Enough to drive a 10 ohm motor, no -·low resistance, high current, blue smoke rising...· Driver chips such as transistors, darlington arrays, or the LM293, are used to take the signal from the BASIC Stamp and deliver the larger amounts of current small DC motors typically require.

Post Edited (Andy Lindsay (Parallax)) : 4/14/2005 2:07:53 AM GMT
  • LiquidaudioLiquidaudio Posts: 8
    edited 2005-04-14 03:09
    Hey
    There are a couple of H-bridge MOSFET drivers chips availabe that take 2 signals to control them forward or reverse. To control the speed in either direction you can output a PWM to each input and the motor will spin faster or slower depending on the PWM duty cycle. I have used this method to control 2 HP DC motors. The LM293 mentioned above works well for smaller DC motors.