Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Saturn L-Series windshield wiper motors — Parallax Forums

Saturn L-Series windshield wiper motors

WhelzornWhelzorn Posts: 256
edited 2005-04-07 22:07 in Robotics
Hey guys! It's beed a while since I've talked to everyone, I've been very busy the past few months. Anyway, I have a couple of the saturn L-series windshield motors, which I bought from All-electronics corp. They have great torque and all, but the problem I'm having is that they have a VERY short threaded shaft, like less than an inch long. It's about a quarter inch in diameter (the shaft that is) and have a taper near the end with ridges in it where the arm used to grip on. I was just wondering if anyone had any kind of idea as to how I could either extend the shaft, or put some kind of wheel on it.

Thanks for the help!
-Justin

P.S. If I asked the same question once before, please tell me, because I can't remember if I asked you guys, or another forum. I couldn't find it by searching either, so I don't think I did.

Comments

• JonbJonb Posts: 146
    edited 2005-03-27 21:21
    Your require a shaft extender with allan head screws. This question has been asked before, the answer given was to look in basic robotics books for the answer. Might take alot of searching to find the right shaft extender for your needs.
  • WhelzornWhelzorn Posts: 256
    edited 2005-03-27 21:30
    ok, the only problem with a shaft extender in that they are hexagonal on the outside, meaning it will be hard to attach a wheel hub to it.
    edited 2005-03-27 22:19
    The extenders come in various styles. The principle is that you have 2 shafts but against each other, the extender fits over the two shafts securing them together with a couple of screws.
    edited 2005-03-27 22:59
    Ok, thanks. I will try and see if I can find a place to get these.
    edited 2005-03-27 23:11
    If you have the equipment, a piece of tubing slightly larger then the 2 shafts to join can be used. Simply cut to size and drill a few holes for screws. Check out Onlinemetals.com they have no minimum order and cut to size. They are great!

Post Edited (Jonb) : 3/27/2005 11:13:58 PM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-03-28 15:44
    also look at the site www.smallparts.com they may have what your looking for.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2005-03-28 20:40
    hey, the tubing is a pretty good idea! (mainly because it's really easy and cheap [noparse];)[/noparse] )
    thanks!
    edited 2005-04-07 22:07
    I came across a coupler and remembered this thread, heres a link

http://www.robotstore.com/catalog/display.asp?pid=492

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Jonb) : 4/7/2005 10:41:43 PM GMT