Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Data logger — Parallax Forums

Data logger

madgmadg Posts: 2
edited 2004-11-11 07:08 in BASIC Stamp
I'm starting out on this project to build a simple data logger. It needs a LCD display, maybe a 3 or 4 line backlit one would work fine, and a keypad - alphanumeric capable should be interfaced with this. The unit should be able to store about·4K of data (need to be able to store around·96 bytes a day for roughly a month). The problem is, I dont have any previous experience with any such electronic equipment so its pretty much going to be a learn-as-you-go process.

What would be some suggestions for the type of chip, LCD, kepyad, and possibly any external memory modules I might have to use? I've already looked at the BasicX-24 and a few others but I'm looking for some recommendations and sources for sample code for this type of project.
Thanks all.

Comments

• K de JongK de Jong Posts: 154
    edited 2004-10-13 22:27
    Hi Mad,

A simple question first, what data are you giong to datalog ??? Analog values, events, something else ?? How do you get your data in ??

My personal view on the Parallax chips is that the BS2pe gives the best compromise for a datalogger. It has 32kByte of EEPROM memory, many interfaces for additional hardware and a relatively low powerconsumption (15 mA). You could log data allmost a year with it if you have 96 bytes per day wink.gif)).

An other simle question, how are you going the read back the data you logged. Looking at an LCD display to see all the data you recorded can become very boring smile.gif)). Interfacing to a PC based terminal program (ie Hyperterm) and processing the data in software like Exel will be much more interesting !!

Regards,

Klaus
  • madgmadg Posts: 2
    edited 2004-10-14 03:34
    K de Jong said...
    Hi Mad,

A simple question first, what data are you giong to datalog ??? Analog values, events, something else ?? How do you get your data in ??

My personal view on the Parallax chips is that the BS2pe gives the best compromise for a datalogger. It has 32kByte of EEPROM memory, many interfaces for additional hardware and a relatively low powerconsumption (15 mA). You could log data allmost a year with it if you have 96 bytes per day wink.gif)).

An other simle question, how are you going the read back the data you logged. Looking at an LCD display to see all the data you recorded can become very boring smile.gif)). Interfacing to a PC based terminal program (ie Hyperterm) and processing the data in software like Exel will be much more interesting !!

Regards,

Klaus
    Basically, I want to key in a bunch of numbers and text from the keypad and store it as a set of records - each entry as one record. Each entry would be about 24 bytes. I checked out the BS2pe and its looks ideal for this kinda application. As for reading back the data, I had the exact same idea as you suggested. Actually reading into Excel is esential for this project since·I have to do some analysis with the logged data. So if I go with the BS2pe and a 4x4 keypad and a Matrix Orbital LCD display (either GLK12232-25-WBL or GLK12232-25-SM ), I should be able to get done what I want right ? Would this be the cheapest solution as far as components are concerned though ?
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-10-14 13:00
    Have a look at this; it shows how to to keyboard entry and LCD output with a BASIC Stamp.

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol4/col/nv97.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • 04A23604A236 Posts: 18
    edited 2004-11-10 19:22
    Hi, Jon...

my final year project·somewhat does the same function...
    I am using BS2P40...

my data:
    name var byte(20)
    number var byte(8)

the problem comes when I need to do·some sortings on the record (haven't decided which sort procedure to use)...· I need another temporary variable for sorting purpose...· but the memory space for variable in BS2P40 is only 32 byte long...· Is there anyway of extending this memory space?

Please advice!!

Thanks and regards,
    Rita
    edited 2004-11-10 19:47
    think I need to add that our project is getting input from the keypad; and stored into the EEPROM only upon full entry of both the name and the number...

your advice will be greatly appreciated...

thanks...
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-11-10 20:01
    There is no way to extend the BS2 family RAM -- and you only have 26 bytes (the other six are used for IO control).

With the BS2p though, you have a 127-byte array called the Scratchpad RAM. You can use this as temporay space to sorting your other arrays -- but you'll have to adjust their size to give yourself room for indexing and control variables.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
    edited 2004-11-11 07:08
    Hi, Jon..

Thanks for the advise...

I'll look up on the Scratchpad RAM...

thanks a zillion lot...