Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wifi/ 802.11 Controller — Parallax Forums

Wifi/ 802.11 Controller

carrarascarraras Posts: 2
edited 2004-11-05 21:11 in BASIC Stamp
I am working on a project that would send out a wifi/802.11 signal·to be received by an antenna.

Details:
·1. Signal sent out every 15 seconds or so.
·2. Would send MAC ID, and the letter Z (Thats it).

Ideas I've had:
·1. connect something to a laptop card that would power it up every 15 seconds.
·2. Get just a 802.11 chip attached to a 555 and some processor.

Any Ideas??

Comments

• Dave PatonDave Paton Posts: 285
    edited 2004-11-05 14:28
    Every 802.11b PHY I've seen (especially the laptop cards with their CardBus or PCMCIA interfaces)·will require a fair amout of intelligence on the part of whatever it's hardwired to. The hardware is only responsible for taking care of things like bit orders and noise reduction/RF modulation. You'd need to code a rudimentary Ethernet stack, including the framing and things like TTL, expiration, etc, for whatever specific adapter you choose, which is not a huge task, but not an afternoon project either.

That said...

Does the beacon need to be seperate from a computer for any reason?

Do you really need to use something as complex as 802.11?

What's attached to the antenna on the other end?

What's the actual goal of the project?

All of these answers will help us help you

-dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
  • carrarascarraras Posts: 2
    edited 2004-11-05 20:56
    This is a marketing type application. The box that would hold this chip & wifi card would be a little bigger than a garage door opener.

They would go in cars and when they pass by a billboard (or other area), with·an antenna and logger,·the receiver·would see the MAC ID and little other info. They can be initially programmed by a computer, but then act alone. I don't want the signal to reach out 2-3 miles, just about 2-300 feet.

The result of this is, Billboard and marketing companies will know based on the demograhics of the driver (of the car) who sees the advertisement.

Thanks,· Sam
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2004-11-05 21:11
    Sound like overkill to use 802.11, something as simple as a serial RF link would work.

Check out http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30065

Bean.