Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Variable resistance — Parallax Forums

Variable resistance

Eric REric R Posts: 225
edited 2004-10-29 03:52 in BASIC Stamp
Is it possible to output variable resistance on a BS2? My plans were to use a few pins with each having a specific resistance but I am looking at all my options.

Comments

• LarryLarry Posts: 212
    edited 2004-10-27 06:47
    Hmm- interesting concept, "outputting" resistance. Maybe you should explain your application a bit. there may be other ways to deal with your situation, such as using PWM to control voltage instead. Ends up being the same thing with E=IR

If controlling resistance is really what you need to do, Dallas semiconductor makes the DS1804. The chip is a potentiometer thay you can control with microcontoller signals. It will require 2 pins to run one, plus an additional pin for each chip if you run more than one.

Larry

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2004-10-27 06:49
    Eric R-

Sure can output a variable resistance. Take a look at using a digital potentiometer. They come in various resistance ranges, some have volatile settings and other save them. There are a number of different methods of adressing them including SPI, such that you can use Shiftin/Shiftout or bit-bang them if necessary. Maxim/Dallas [noparse][[/noparse]wwww.maxim-ic.com] and Xicor [noparse][[/noparse]www.xicor.com] are two good places to start looking.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • Eric REric R Posts: 225
    edited 2004-10-29 03:52
    Thanks guys! Guess I got ahead of the game. Got 3/4 of the way into the WAM book and found this info further back yet! Looks like the AD5220 should work fine.