Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Another motor control question and serial link? — Parallax Forums

Another motor control question and serial link?

rounderrounder Posts: 18
edited 2004-10-22 04:13 in BASIC Stamp
Greetings, I have been stampin for a year or so on my bench·now I want to branch out and have some quick questions.

1. I have some old tamiya RC cars I want to retrofit with stamps. Besides using a servo to control the old mechanical speed controllers can I use something like the motor mind or the pololu to control a standard 540 size motor, do they provide enough current for this motor size?

2. Would an electronic speed controller designed for an rc car work well with pulsout commands and the bs2? Or better yet, with my parallax SSC that is on the way? Is this a better solution than using one of the items mentioned above in #1.

3. I am aware of one drop in serial fr replacement, the e-wave stamper, which is out of my hobby budget, are there any other solutions that will allow low range bi-directional serial communication in the $100 price range?·I have alot of time invested in control applications written in VB and don't want to redo any of that work.

Thanks in advance for any help

jb
·

Comments

• MatthewMatthew Posts: 200
    edited 2004-10-22 04:13
    Here's my theory on the ESC (electronic speed controller) with the stamps:
    Because servos and ESCs work with R/C receivers used in hobby cars (nothing special, the ESCs just plug into any open slot used for servos), and the servos work with the Parallax Servo Controller (PSC), then the ESC should also work with the PSC.

I'll be testing this in the next few days! I'll let you know how it goes.