Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
eBay deal on Parallax BS2s/BOEs — Parallax Forums

eBay deal on Parallax BS2s/BOEs

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
edited 2004-10-15 22:32 in BASIC Stamp
As an insider I thought I better let you guys know about some new (but from returns) Parallax stuff on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4661&item=3845604946&rd=1

We're not seeing much activity on these and think they're a steal for our customers. At the moment, there are 35 units available and everybody will take them for $19.95 due to the low volume of bidders.

Ken Gracey
Parallax, Inc.

Comments

• OrionOrion Posts: 236
    edited 2004-10-12 21:37
    Thank you! I'll take 1 you can keep the BOE lol
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2004-10-13 20:37
    What's the difference in the revisions?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are in a maze of twisty passages...all alike...
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2004-10-13 20:42
    The later revisions add a jumper that lets you select which power supply goes to the Servo connectors (those little sockets in the top left corner). It turns out this is useful if you have a 7.5 volt power supply -- you can directly connect it to the servo, so the regulator doesn't power both the servo and the BS2. (Most servo's will take 7.5 volts, since people started putting together rechargeable 7-cell NI-CAD battery packs).
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2004-10-13 20:45
    What about the difference in the revisions of the Stamp?

FWIW: I think you meant 6-cell packs since each cell would be 1.2 volts.

Thanks for the info on the BOE, though...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are in a maze of twisty passages...all alike...
    edited 2004-10-13 21:23
    Oops.

Yes, 4 x 1.5 volt Alkalines will get you 6 volts. 5 x 1.2 volt Ni-Cads will get you -- hmm, 6 volts.
    But then, 5 x 1.5 volt Alkalines will get you 7.5 volts. I knew it was in there somewhere.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2004-10-13 21:50
    The revision F BASIC Stamp is our current BS2-IC model.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2004-10-14 20:54
    Actually the eBay auction ended at twice the anticipated amount...Not too shabby...smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777

Business Page:·· http://www.knightdesigns.com
    Personal Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/chris
    Designs Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/designs
    ·
    edited 2004-10-15 20:17
    40 bucks for a returned BOE and Chip? Well, since a new set is over $100, and separately the chip is $50.00, I suppose this isn't too bad. Not as good as $20.00, which is where they started. Oh, well, that's a dutch auction for ya.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2004-10-15 22:32
    Allan,

We were a bit hard on ourselves.

Actually, they were not "used" returns in the form of previously handled and programmed. Rather, perhaps a package had been opened but otherwise things were brand new. For example, if we sell a kit at Fry's and somebody opens it up to steal the Stamp module, they return the whole thing and we sell the BOE part on eBay. It would have been more accurate to say "new, but previously opened". But the "refurbished" description gives us latitude by ensuring customer expectations are exceeded. When they get a new Stamp and BOE in a bag they're really happy considering they expected something refurbished - whatever that means. Now you know a big marketing trick.

Our internal "system" - the way we receive products in stock, ship them out, kit them, etc. doesn't allow for us to make returned stuff new again (not to mention the company philosophy). So, our forum users will really benefit from these eBay deals because we'll always let you know first. Knowing what I know from the inside, this refurbished stuff on eBay is a great way to buy Parallax! Chances are it's really a new product.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.