Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
FTDI US232B USB to Serial Adapter — Parallax Forums

FTDI US232B USB to Serial Adapter

GregGreg Posts: 5
edited 2004-10-04 17:59 in BASIC Stamp
Hello everyone.
I am new with stamps and I have two questions...

The first issue concerns the FTDI US232B USB to Serial Adapter.· I got one yesterday and it only downloads the progaramme 1 in 4, sometimes more efforts. I am using· VCP Drivers for windows XP ( with enhanced BM series support )·· Can I solve this problem?? Can this repeating connection failure damage the BOE or the stamp?

The·second issue concerns a servo. ·I connected by mistake the 6vdc power cord with inverse polarity.· When I put the correct polarity the servo started not functioning properly.· Is the servo damaged?? Is it possible that I have caused damage on the BOE or the Stamp??· Can I· repair the servo?
I tried some simple movements with another servo and all seemed ok.

Comments

• K de JongK de Jong Posts: 154
    edited 2004-10-01 12:17
    HI Greg,

I use a different type of the FTDI Serial to USB connector (USB2SER) and I have absolutely no problem. But, my device can not program the Stamp. The only thing I can do is read data from the Stamp and write data to it using SERIN and SEROUT.

I don't know much about XP but your FTDI US232B USB to Serial Adapter should show up as a serial port, for example COM3, in the configuration window.

Important is that you have the communications parameters set correctly: 9600 Baud, 8 bit, 1 stopbit and no paritiy. If that does'nt work then you will have to look in more advanced settings.

For your second question: the servo will probably be damaged and I don't believe it will be easy to repair.

If the Stamp works with another servo then it is probably OK, you coeld check the pins of it using the Stamp pin checker developed by Sid Weaver. You also could try to program a 'blinking LED' program to gain confidence again smile.gif.

I hope this helps a little,

regards,

Klaus
  • WorapohtWorapoht Posts: 17
    edited 2004-10-01 17:40
    Hi, Greg
    There're some trick on FTDI VCP driver, you can re-config parameter. On Windows's Control Panel -> System then expand Port group, you may seen COM number added after plug USB device.
    Edit properties, then look around for packet delay parameter and decrease to lowest value as 1 ms. This value for refresh USB transaction and more chance to communicate with controller

on servo motor, I agree to Klaus that parts assembled not ease to repair (if damaged). most of them are SMT type and number of Transistor (or MOSFET) was coded...
    it's seem your STAMP ok, nothing damaged.
  • GregGreg Posts: 5
    edited 2004-10-04 17:59
    Thank you both for taking the time to answer.

The trick that Klaus suggested did the work.· I have no problem communicating with my stamp now!!!

You ve been very helpfull

Greg