Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wasted BS2? — Parallax Forums

Wasted BS2?

Velvet LeopardVelvet Leopard Posts: 47
edited 2004-08-18 17:32 in BASIC Stamp
Hewwo.· I have been trying to find out how to add a mouse to my BS2 and try to interface a controller and other stuff, but every time I get a reply it is either the BS2 can't do that or the BS2 is not sufficient or buy this kit or this expensive board.· Why can't it do ANYTHING more than just send out signals on 16 pins?· I can do that with basic components and logic gates.· I have found several forums about it.· They all say the stamp has crappy timing it can not talk to simple things like mice and such.· It doesn't have the speed or power to do much of anything save for controlling LEDs or servos.· Nearly every project I have read about requires some kind of extra big chips to do the bulk of the work while the Stamp only turns things off and on.· Have I wasted my money on my stamp?·

Comments

• frasencifrasenci Posts: 34
    edited 2004-08-17 04:54
    Velvet Leopard , I thought you needed to interface with an USB mouse ?????

I am sure I have read 2 or 3 applications with the Basic Stamp reading SERIAL mouse and a Playstation Controller ....
    It USB that is the tricky one !!!··· jumpin.gif
    I will check out tomorrow and I'll let you know.

all best

Francisco

Post Edited (frasenci) : 8/17/2004 4:58:06 AM GMT
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-08-17 05:53
    You've commented more than once that you're new at this game. I'm not saying that the BASIC Stamp is capable of doing all the things that you want to do [noparse][[/noparse]without external assistance]·... but I am saying that even if it could you might not quite be ready to handle the programming -- and none of us should expect that we're going to find every application we want in the form of canned, cut-and-paste code. If that were the case there would be no need for engineers....

Be patient with yourself, and work through our [noparse][[/noparse]free] training materials. Even if you do ultimately settle on another product, our training materials will serve you well, as they provide a solid background in programming logic and interfacing.

BTW, if you do want to talk to a serial mouse then you might want to try the Javelin. It programs in Java and can buffer a serial input stream. One of our engineers (Andy) has connected a serial mouse to a couple of his Javelin projects.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • frasencifrasenci Posts: 34
    edited 2004-08-17 12:11
    anyway , Velvet Leopard

I am attaching a neat eaxample you can investigate for yourself
    It is N&V nr 101 column

things do not look that bad I think. Keep going !!!

all best

Francisco
  • cabojoecabojoe Posts: 72
    edited 2004-08-18 01:21
    Twenty five years ago if we wanted something to control a robot or whatever, we had to hack a Commodore or a Tandy Color computer, and build our own interfaces AND sensors. Either that or you had to try to etch your own Z80 board and learn to program it in assembly langauge. Parallax has made it so easy. If you don't want that stamp send it my way, lol.
  • WhelzornWhelzorn Posts: 256
    edited 2004-08-18 01:36
    damn you cabojoe, you asked first...
  • cabojoecabojoe Posts: 72
    edited 2004-08-18 04:08
    I gave you 24 hours to ask first...lol
  • WhelzornWhelzorn Posts: 256
    edited 2004-08-18 04:56
    no fair! I was gone all day! ...lol
    anyway, I do suggest you keep your BS2 and join us here in the forums, because there are many other uses for this thing, Im sure if your creative like many of us, you can find all kinds of projects for the BS2
  • Velvet LeopardVelvet Leopard Posts: 47
    edited 2004-08-18 17:32
    Sorry guys.· I don't want to get rid of my stamp.· I spent too much money on it to just give it up.· I was just getting disappointed at all the replies saying I had to buy some big kit for it just to do something.· I want to use it and want learn as much about it as possible.· Eventually, I will get another microcontroller, or more, and biuld on that as well. I will post a new topic about that though.