Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 to Text file — Parallax Forums

BS2 to Text file

HopsHops Posts: 7
edited 2004-07-27 07:37 in BASIC Stamp
Wow, this is a cool new forum[noparse]:)[/noparse]

I'm trying to get my BS2 to send information to a text file I can then use on my website. If possible it would be really neat if I could have read text files as well. If anybody has any information or sourcecode that could be sent to help me please do!

-Hops

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-07-23 17:44
    I think you're going to need some intermediary application that accepts serial input from and sends serial info to the BASIC Stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • HopsHops Posts: 7
    edited 2004-07-23 21:13
    My problem is I don't have any experience with writing software for the serial port, I was just hoping that someone had some sourcecode that I could look at, or perhaps a link to a good serial port programing tutorial.
  • AlWilliamsAWCAlWilliamsAWC Posts: 135
    edited 2004-07-23 21:19
    Have a look at http://www.awce.com/netporter.htm -- might be overkill, but it will take serial data, massage it, and create text files (among other things). Works great with the Stamp. You just don't need the Internet features.

Regards,

Al Williams
    AWC
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2004-07-24 18:54
    Is your question how to make the Stamp generate and send the text file, or how to receive it on the PC?
  • HopsHops Posts: 7
    edited 2004-07-27 07:37
    I'm actually trying to get a binary compiled that will allow me to pass information from the command line to the BS2 via the serial port, as well as read information from the port and log into a file. This will be used in wrapper for PHP to connect my BS2 to the internet via PHP. The problem is it all needs to run in the command line, I want to be able to command

bs2-serial.exe -s "text out"
    or
    bs2-serial.exe -r "text-log.txt"

I know how to send all of the data from the stamp, and even recieve it with serial communication software or the DEBUG terminal. The problem is I need to be able to run the whole program from the command line so in PHP i can command

<?PHP exec("bs2serial.exe s 'text out'"); ?>

There was a program I found, EzCom2Web but it's shareware and requires $25 to work without restrictions.

Most of the links above are helpful, so thanks to those who helped! and if anybody has anymore ideas or questions for me, let me know

EDIT: I know that most of these links are for C++ but I also know Java

Post Edited (Hops) : 7/27/2004 8:05:55 AM GMT